May 29, 1914

William Cameron Edwards

Mr. EDWARDS:

I think it is. It was brought out in the evidence that at Kingston they were sentenced to the dungeon and shackled to the gate.

Robert Bickerdike

Mr. BICKERDIKE:

I have more reference to St. Vincent de Paul.

William Cameron Edwards

Mr. EDWARDS:

I want to give you another instance of the absolute unfitness of this man, O'Leary, for the position which he occupies. Fancy, on that stone pile, sixty men breaking stone month after month and year after year, a pail of water, and all drinking out of one cup and from one pail. Not only that, but it was brought out in the evidence that men with syphilitic sores in their mouths were in the same gangs with these boys, and all drinking out of the same pail and out of the same cup. x submit that you would not put a diseased animal alongside of healthy ones, and yet you put men with the most loathsome disease you can imagine alongside these boys and expect them to grow up to strong and vigorous manhood.

William Cameron Edwards

Mr. EDWARDS:

Certainly it was known to the officials; it was admitted in their evidence.

William Cameron Edwards

Mr. EDWARDS:

Let me give you another instance of the way in which this institution has been run. This has been the routine treatment meted out to sick convicts. On Sundays, in order to let the guards go home, the sick convicts were given their breaklasv at nine o'clock, their dinner at eleven, ana their supper at one o'clock and they got nothing more to eat until between eight and nine o'clock on Monday morning. This was the way in which they treated sick convicts.

William Cameron Edwards

Mr. EDWARDS:

That is what I said.

They got their meals at nine, eleven and one and the only part of their meal that they could keep in their cells was a piece of bread; they were not allowed to retain any of the dishes. There may have been a difference of opinion as to whether an investigation of this institution was necessary when I made my charges, but there can now be no two opinions in this country in regard to it being necessary.

Rodolphe Lemieux

Mr. LEMIEUX:

I would like my hon.

friend to repeat that statement about sick convicts receiving their meals at the hours mentioned. Does he mean to say that they got their meals at nine, eleven and one o'clock, and nothing between that and next day?

William Cameron Edwards

Mr. EDWARDS:

That is what I say. They received their breakfast at nine, their dinner at eleven, and their supper at one, and nothing from that time until Monday morning between eight and nine o'clock.

CON

William Cameron Edwards

Mr. EDWARDS:

I am referring to what is brought out and what appears in the typewritten evidence which I have here. I shall be very glad if any hon. member desires it, to corroborate any statement I make by the evidence, which bears out what I have said.

Emmanuel Berchmans Devlin

Mr. DEVLIN:

Why does the hon. gentleman lay so much blame on the deputy warden? Was not the warden responsible for all these Acts?

William Cameron Edwards

Mr. EDWARDS:

I will answer that question. Under our system, as it is now and has been for many years, the warden-ships in penitentiaries have gone as

political plums to men, no matter which side has been in power. There was no consideration given to the man's fitness for the position of warden. He got the position of warden because of services he had rendered to his party. As a result of that the warden depended upon the next officials, the deputy warden, the surgeon, and so on, for the administration of the penitentiary.

William Cameron Edwards

Mr. EDWARDS:

Yes, by the doctor. I am not charging that particular point against the deputy warden; I am charging it against the doctor.

Rodolphe Lemieux

Mr. LEMIEUX:

It is incredible that they should be left without anything to eat from one o'clock on Sunday until next day.

May 29, 1914