April 15, 1915

QUESTIONS.

[Questions answered orally are indicated by an asterisk.]

DISTILLATON OF GRAIN.

Mr. LOGGIE:

1. Has the Government received a letter or a circular from the Womens Christian Temperance Union, protesting against the great waste of valuable grain, which is being converted into intoxicating liquors?

2. If so, is it the intention of the Government to take such means as will prevent the grain that is said to be now worse than wasted, being used for food instead?

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   DISTILLATON OF GRAIN.
CON

Sir GEORGE FOSTER: (Minister of Trade and Commerce)

1. Seme members of the Government have received a letter or circular from the Women's Christian Temperance Union protesting against the great waste of valuable grain by its conversion into intoxicating liquors.

2. The Government has not come to any conclusion on the matter, and has not, as a matter of fact, yet given it consideration.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   DISTILLATON OF GRAIN.

WAR TAX STAMPS.

CON

Thomas Chase Casgrain (Postmaster General)

Hon. T. CHASE CASGRAIN (Postmaster General):

I wish to answer a question put to me by the hon. member for Three Rivers (Mr. Bureau) in relation to the postage stamps that bear across their face the words " war tax." I may tell the hon. gentleman and the House that, after due deliberation, the department have come to the conclusion that the postage stamps which bear upon their face the words " war tax " may be used as postage.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   WAR TAX STAMPS.

William Pugsley

Mr. PUGSLEY:

The stamps which are furnished to banks, although they are for cheques and notes, etc., are postage stamps with the words " war tax " upon them. It does seem to me to be an anomaly to use a postage stamp as a stamp upon a receipt or note. Is that intended?

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   WAR TAX STAMPS.

Joseph Philippe Baby Casgrain

Mr. CASGRAIN:

They are being used in the meantime until the Inland Revenue Department has had time to pTint their own stamps.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   WAR TAX STAMPS.

William Pugsley

Mr. PUGSLEY:

I have seen a postage stamp on a bottle of soda water marked " war tax."

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   WAR TAX STAMPS.
CON

George Eulas Foster (Minister of Trade and Commerce)

Sir GEORGE FOSTER:

Is my hon.

friend sure that it was soda water?

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   WAR TAX STAMPS.

William Pugsley

Mr. PUGSLEY:

Yes, and I looked

around for the Minister of Trade and Commerce to partake of it with me.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   WAR TAX STAMPS.

QUEBEC AND SAGUENAY RAILWAY COMPANY.

Rodolphe Lemieux

Mr. LEMIEUX:

Yesterday I put a question to the Tight hon. gentleman who leads the House as to whether an Order in Council had been passed concerning the payment of a subsidy or guarantee of bonds to the Quebec and Saguenay Railway. I think that the right hon. gentleman perhaps did not catch the name of the railway, and I wish to refresh his memory and to know whether or not this Order in Council has been passed. I am informed it has been. Perhaps the Minister of Finance would fell me.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   QUEBEC AND SAGUENAY RAILWAY COMPANY.
CON

William Thomas White (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Mr. WHITE:

I understood the Prime Minister, in reply to my hon. friend, to say that no Order in Council had been passed.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   QUEBEC AND SAGUENAY RAILWAY COMPANY.

THE HIGH COST OF LIVING COMMISSION.

William Pugsley

Mr. PUGSLEY:

I should like to ask the Minister of Labour, whom I am glad to observe in his seat, a question upon a subject of very great importance and of very great interest to the people of this country. A long time ago, recognizing the great rapidity at which the cost of living was increasing, this Government, upon the recommendation, I understand, of the Minister of Labour, appointed a commission to inquire into the matter. I should like to ask the minister to inform the House what information has been gathered, what the commission has done, whether it is still at work, and when we may expect the report?

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   THE HIGH COST OF LIVING COMMISSION.
CON

Thomas Wilson Crothers (Minister of Labour)

Mr. CROTHERS:

I do not think there is sufficient time at my disposal to tell the House all that has been done by the commission appointed to inquire into the high cost of living. However, I may state in a general way that the commission took evidence at various places throughout the country. One of its members was assigned to the work of gathering certain information, and he has been at work on that for seven or eight months, but about a month ago he had to quit work, as he was 166

run down both physically and mentally. In his enthusiasm he had overworked himself, and his physician compelled him to take a rest.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   THE HIGH COST OF LIVING COMMISSION.
CON

Thomas Wilson Crothers (Minister of Labour)

Mr. CROTHERS:

Mr. Coats, one of the best men in the service of this Government, an enthusiast, and highly skilled in the gathering of statistics; in fact, I do not think he has an equal in Canada. He has been working at the report, with the assistance of another gentleman in the Labour Department, for seven or eight months. He was compelled about a month ago to take a rest, but, in order to try and get the report out while this House was in session, he again took up the work much sooner than he should have done. I have gone over various portions of the report, and I can promise the House that it will be the best piece of work of its kind ever published; it will be a classic, which will be read by economists throughout the civilized world, and which the people of Canada will be proud of. I think the report will be published about the middle of next month; that is the very best Mr: Coats can do. However, it will be worth waiting for, and I can assure the members of this House that when it is published we shall have the best report on the question that has ever been given to the public in this or in any other country.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   THE HIGH COST OF LIVING COMMISSION.

April 15, 1915