May 25, 1917

CON

William James Roche (Superintendent-General of Indian Affairs; Minister of the Interior)

Mr. ROCHE:

Yes. It will be laid on the Table.

Topic:   EMIGRATION RESTRICTIONS ON CANADIANS OF MILITARY AGE.

DR. BRUCE'S REPORT.

Edward Mortimer Macdonald

Mr. MACDONALD:

On Tuesday last, the Minister of Militia (Sir Edward Kemp) stated that he desired to read the report of Dr. Bruce before laying it on the Table. J presume that he has read it by this time, and I would like very much if he would bring it down.

Topic:   DR. BRUCE'S REPORT.
CON

Albert Edward Kemp (Minister of Militia and Defence)

Sir EDWARD KEMP:

I confess to my hon. friend that I have not had an opportunity to read the report, and therefore it is not yet ready to be brought down.

Topic:   DR. BRUCE'S REPORT.

Edward Mortimer Macdonald

Mr. MACDONALD:

On reflection, my recollection is that my hon. friend said that as soon as he had time to have it copied the report would be brought down. Has it been copied yet?

Topic:   DR. BRUCE'S REPORT.
CON

Albert Edward Kemp (Minister of Militia and Defence)

Sir EDWARD KEMP:

I think J added to that that I required to read it over and see whether it was actually an answer to the Babtie report to which the hon. gentleman had referred. I have not yet had time to read it.

Topic:   DR. BRUCE'S REPORT.

Edward Mortimer Macdonald

Mr. MACDONALD:

I do not quite understand my hon. friend. The report to which I refer ig the report of Dr. Bruce in reply to the Babtie report. It does not require my hon. friend to read it to know whether it is a reply or not, it is stated to be a reply, I understand. Will not he tell us when he will bring it down? He may never read it, and never have it copied.

Sir EDWARD KEMP [DOT] I hope to give my hon. friend a definite reply not later than Monday.

Topic:   DR. BRUCE'S REPORT.

SUPPLY.

PROPOSAL. TO AMEND THE CUSTOMS TARIFF.

The consideration of the proposed motion of Hon. Sir Thomas White (Minister of Finance) for the Committee of Supply, and the amendment oif Mr. Oliver thereto, was resumed from Wednesday, May 23.

CON

William Thomas White (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Sir THOMAS WHITE:

With the consent of the House, I desire to speak a word of explanation. An understanding has been reached with the hon. member for Edmonton (Mr. Oliver). We will proceed with the debate, as there are two members who desire to speak on the amendment this afternoon, and then we will go into Supply, the hon. member for Edmonton (Mr. Oliver) withdrawing his amendment on the understanding that he will move it again on Tuesday on going into Supply.

Topic:   SUPPLY.
Subtopic:   PROPOSAL. TO AMEND THE CUSTOMS TARIFF.
CON

Edgar Nelson Rhodes (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. SPEAKER:

I think the course suggested by the hon. member is the solution of the difficulty. The amendment has to be disposed of before we can go into Supply.

Topic:   SUPPLY.
Subtopic:   PROPOSAL. TO AMEND THE CUSTOMS TARIFF.

William Pugsley

Mr. PUGSLEY:

I think that, under the rule, on Friday the House goes into Supply without motion put.

Topic:   SUPPLY.
Subtopic:   PROPOSAL. TO AMEND THE CUSTOMS TARIFF.

Wilfrid Laurier (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Sir WILFRID LAURIER:

I understand that the order for Committee of Ways and

Means has been called by the Clerk, in order to give my hon. friend (Mr. Oliver) an opportunity to withdraw his amendment?

Topic:   SUPPLY.
Subtopic:   PROPOSAL. TO AMEND THE CUSTOMS TARIFF.

Wilfrid Laurier (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Sir WILFRID LAURIER:

Do you withdraw the amendment now?

Topic:   SUPPLY.
Subtopic:   PROPOSAL. TO AMEND THE CUSTOMS TARIFF.

Wilfrid Laurier (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Sir WILFRID LAURIER:

Later on?

Topic:   SUPPLY.
Subtopic:   PROPOSAL. TO AMEND THE CUSTOMS TARIFF.

Wilfrid Laurier (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Sir WILFRID LAURIER:

All right.

Mr. THOMAS MACNUTT (Saltcoats) resuming) : When the debate was adjourned on Wednesday night I was quoting some figures relating to the area under crop in the several western provinces from the year 1911 to the year 1916, inclusive. So far as Manitoba is concerned, these figures showed a decrease in the area under crop of 788,933 acres. The value of the crops have increased only to the extent of $390,000, which would not pay for the advanced cost of labour and equipment. These figures go to show that there is something wrong, and we believe that this amendment, if put into effect, would, to a large extent, bring about an improvement. Now, I pass to Saskatchewan. These figures enable us to compare the acreage in 1911 with those of the succeeding years down to and including 1916. For convenience, the comparison between 1911 and 1916 is shown in summaries. But, as 1916 was a year of war, when conditions were abnormal, I make a comparison also between the two normal years of 1911 and 1914. *

Topic:   SUPPLY.
Subtopic:   PROPOSAL. TO AMEND THE CUSTOMS TARIFF.

May 25, 1917