September 5, 1917

CON

Daniel Duncan McKenzie

Mr. McKENZIE:

I am not here to fight for St. John-it can take care of itself-bat there seems to be an argument in favour of leaving it in. The minister tells us that he has to call for tenders and that he is likely to accept one.

Topic:   SUPPLY.
CON

John Dowsley Reid (Minister of Customs)

Mr. REID:

I have not accepted any. Tenders were called for but no action was taken.

CON
CON

John Dowsley Reid (Minister of Customs)

Mr. REID:

We required a certified

cheque with each tender, and no cheques were sent. Those that -were irregular were considerably higher than the lowest tender that was regular. I can say that the lowest tender is not that of a New Brunswick firm.

Topic:   SUPPLY.
CON

John Dowsley Reid (Minister of Customs)

Mr. REID:

I would not have any objection except that I have just got a memorandum now from the deputy and the tenders have not been submitted to council. It is not customary to give information about a matter of this kind until it has been submitted to council.

William Pugsley

Mr. PUGSLEY:

If the item is to stand over for a day or two I would be agreeable, but -otherwise I would like to present some very strong reasons for passing the item. This is a revote. The item was voted by Parliament two years ago and tenders were called by the minister for this work which was deemed very necessary and apparently essential for the protection of the harbour. Owing to the lowest tender being higher than the amount the minister thought he ought to expend,

he decided to call for new tenders. New tenders were called for under the previous vote. This is really a revote. .

Topic:   SUPPLY.
CON

John Allister Currie

Mr. CURRIE:

Will the hon. gentleman tell me why it is not mentioned here that it is a revote? It says:

Extension of and repairs to Negro Point breakwater, $250,000.-

William Pugsley

Mr. PUGSLEY:

I do not know; but my hon. friend will find that what I say is true. It may be that tenders were called for to be paid out of the general vote for St. John harbour.

CON

William Pugsley

Mr. PUGSLEY:

I understand it was decided to make a change in the kind of stone that might be used. The previous tenders required that granite only should be used in the breakwater. A change was made in the hope that the tenders would be for a considerably lower amount. But, undoubtedly the vote in Parliament two years ago authorized the calling for tenders. The reason the work was not gone on with before was the belief that by .making this change it would be done at a lower cost.

Frank Broadstreet Carvell

Mr. CARVELL:

I am willing that the item should stand, but I do not go back on what I said last evening. This is a new work in my judgment and I want to be fairly consistent. I opposed the rest of the new works and I oppose this.

John Howard Sinclair

Mr. SINCLAIR:

What is the use of allowing this item to stand if we will not embark upon any new work?

Topic:   SUPPLY.
CON

John Dowsley Reid (Minister of Customs)

Mr. REID:

The reason I ask that it be allowed to stand instead of striking it out is that I am only acting for the department and I would like to submit it to my colleagues.

John Howard Sinclair

Mr. SINCLAIR:

It seems to be agreed that, the Minister of Finance having made that announcement, the committee is bound by it. I agree with my hon. friend' from North Simcoe (Mr. Currie) .that Stayner and St. John ought to be treated alike. I am prepared to vote to strike that item out.

William Pugsley

Mr. PUGSLEY:

I sincerely trust that the most my hon. friends wrould ask would be that the matter should stand a day or two so that it can be looked into. It is not a new work in the ordinary sense. The breakwater has been extended out from Negro point comparatively close to Partridge island. The department has done a lot of work, has built wharves, and the

opinion of experts is that the closing of this gap is necessary to protect the wharves and also the very large amount of shipping that is coming to the harbour and using these wharves on the western side. Therefore, this is simply carrying on a work which lias been in progress for a number of years.

September 5, 1917