May 22, 1918

THE MILITARY SERVICE ACT.

On the Orders of the Day: Mr. P. R. DuTREMBLAY (Laurier-Outre-mont): I would ask the Government whether military police have been substituted for federal police in the rounding up of draftees in the district of Montreal. 1 have been informed that an Order in Council has been passed transferring this work from the Department of Justice to the Department of Militia and Defence.

UNION

Charles Joseph Doherty (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada)

Unionist

Mr. DOHERTY:

There has been no such Order in Council as my hon. friend mentions.

Topic:   COMMITTEE ON AGRICULTURE-SUPPLY OF LABOUR.
Subtopic:   THE MILITARY SERVICE ACT.
Sub-subtopic:   MILITARY POLICE.

PURCHASE OF FARM TRACTORS.

On the Orders of the Day:

UNI L

Thomas Alexander Crerar (Minister of Agriculture)

Unionist (Liberal)

Hon. T. A. CRERAR (Minister of Agriculture) :

A few days iago the leader of the Opposition inquired if there had been any report from the Hon. Mr. Dunning in respect to the purchase of farm tractors through the Canada Food Board. While no formal report has been made, Mr. Dunning has orally reported the results of this work The who'e one thousand tractors purchased have been sold, and a few additional ones have been secured to till orders that have come in over and above the one thousand. The reports we have received from the district where a good many of these tractors have been in operation are to the effect that they are proving satisfactory.

Topic:   COMMITTEE ON AGRICULTURE-SUPPLY OF LABOUR.
Subtopic:   PURCHASE OF FARM TRACTORS.
L LIB

Wilfrid Laurier (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Laurier Liberal

Sir WILFRID LAURIER:

I would suggest that it would be well for the House to have a full report as to the application of the money expended.

Topic:   COMMITTEE ON AGRICULTURE-SUPPLY OF LABOUR.
Subtopic:   PURCHASE OF FARM TRACTORS.
UNI L

Thomas Alexander Crerar (Minister of Agriculture)

Unionist (Liberal)

Mr. CRERAR:

I shall be glad to have such a report prepared and submitted. The tractors have been mainly distributed' in Ontario and the three prairie provinces.

Topic:   COMMITTEE ON AGRICULTURE-SUPPLY OF LABOUR.
Subtopic:   PURCHASE OF FARM TRACTORS.

CIVIL PAY OF CIVIL SERVANTS OVERSEAS.

On the Orders of the Day:

UNION

Newton Wesley Rowell (President of the Privy Council)

Unionist

Hon. N. W. ROWELL:

In reply to the bon. member for Three Rivers (Mr. Bureau)

I have no further information beyond what I have given as to the number of men who would come under this Order in Council. The fullest possible information has been given my hon. friend, and may I thank him for the courteous and characteristic way in which he is in the habit of putting his questions?

Topic:   COMMITTEE ON AGRICULTURE-SUPPLY OF LABOUR.
Subtopic:   CIVIL PAY OF CIVIL SERVANTS OVERSEAS.
L LIB

Jacques Bureau

Laurier Liberal

Mr. BUREAU:

It is very easy for my hon. friend to say that he does not know the number, instead of telling the House how many men will come under the Order in Council. The hon. gentleman, by simply repeating what he has already said, implies that I did not understand him, which I did. I thank him for his reference to my courtesy, and will have the pleasure of calling again.

Topic:   COMMITTEE ON AGRICULTURE-SUPPLY OF LABOUR.
Subtopic:   CIVIL PAY OF CIVIL SERVANTS OVERSEAS.

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Order.

THE MILITARY SERVICE ACT. REPRESENTATIONS PROM THE FARMERS. On the Orders of the Day:

Topic:   COMMITTEE ON AGRICULTURE-SUPPLY OF LABOUR.
Subtopic:   CIVIL PAY OF CIVIL SERVANTS OVERSEAS.
UNION

John Allister Currie

Unionist

Mr. J. A. CURRIE (North Simcoe):

In common, I suppose, with other hon. mem-

bers, I have received many telegrams from the farming community which would lead cne to suppose there is going to be some modification of the recent Order in Council drafting young men between the ages of twenty and twenty-two inclusive. These communications urge us to bring pressure to bear on the Government, the farmers apparently having the idea that there is to be some modification of the Order in Council. 1 would ask the leader of the Government if that is so or not, so that we can answer these communications intelligently.

Topic:   COMMITTEE ON AGRICULTURE-SUPPLY OF LABOUR.
Subtopic:   CIVIL PAY OF CIVIL SERVANTS OVERSEAS.
CON

George Green Foster

Sir GEORGE FOSTER:

Just as soon as information on tne question preferred by my hon. friend can be given, it will be announced to the House. The matter is under the consideration of the Government.

Topic:   COMMITTEE ON AGRICULTURE-SUPPLY OF LABOUR.
Subtopic:   CIVIL PAY OF CIVIL SERVANTS OVERSEAS.

VOTES AND PROCEEDINGS AND JOURNALS.

On the Orders of the Day:

L LIB

Wilfrid Laurier (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Laurier Liberal

Sir WILFRID LAURIER:

May I remind my hon. friend from North Simcoe (Mr. Currie) that yesterday he presented the report of the special committee appointed to consider and report upon the question of consolidating the Votes and Proceedings and the Journals of the House of Commons.

I would remind my hon. friend that if he does not make some motion with regard to it, the report will simply be pigeon-holed.

Topic:   COMMITTEE ON AGRICULTURE-SUPPLY OF LABOUR.
Subtopic:   VOTES AND PROCEEDINGS AND JOURNALS.
Sub-subtopic:   REPORT OP SPECIAL COMMITTEE.

PRIVATE BILLS.

The House in Committee on Private Bills, Mr. Boivin in the Chair.

May 22, 1918