February 24, 1921

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Hear, hear.

UNION

George Brecken Nicholson

Unionist

Mr. NICHOLSON:

Just listen to them cheer in a minute or two. What happens when the Government is turned out?

An hon. MEMBER:

We will be in

power.

UNION

George Brecken Nicholson

Unionist

Mr. NICHOLSON:

The leader of the Opposition made this statement up in Peterborough a short time ago:

Turn the Meighen Government out and the! it will be the duty of His Excellency the Gov ernor General to send for the Leader of the Opposition to form a Government.

L LIB
UNION

George Brecken Nicholson

Unionist

Mr. NICHOLSON:

If you will pardon me a slang phrase, can you beat that-

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Oh, on.

An hon. MEMBER:

We can beat you.

UNION

George Brecken Nicholson

Unionist

Mr. NICHOLSON:

-as a means of allaying unrest amongst the returned soldiers in this country, to bring about a situation that would make it necessary for His Excellency the Governor General to send for the leader of the Opposition to form a Government? Mr. Speaker, I do not wish to be unduly severe-

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Oh, oh.

UNION

George Brecken Nicholson

Unionist

Mr. NICHOLSON:

Hon. gentlemen may laugh but I will tell them this-

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Oh, oh.

UNION

Edgar Nelson Rhodes (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Unionist

Mr. SPEAKER:

I must appeal to hon. gentlemen to observe some semblance of decorum in debate. Doubtless the hon. member for East Algoma would be willing to concede the privilege to any hon. gentleman who so desires, of rising in his place and asking a question in proper form, but I submit that debate can-

not be conducted with a running fire of comment such as has occurred during the last few moments.

UNION

George Brecken Nicholson

Unionist

Mr. NICHOLSON:

I appreciate, Mr. Speaker, your desire to maintain the decorum of the House, but I can assure you that the hilarity of hon. gentlemen opposite gives me very great pleasure. I am glad to see the leader of the Opposition now taking his seat and, with your permission, Sir, I will repeat in his presence what I said a few moments ago.

Mr. ARCH AMB AULT@

Say it in

French.

An hon. MEMBER:

Dispense.

UNION

George Brecken Nicholson

Unionist

Mr. NICHOLSON:

The leader of the Opposition has suggested that as a means of allaying unrest amongst the returned soldiers in this country, a situation should be brought about that would make it necessary for His Excellency the Governor General to send for him (Mr. King) to form a Government and become Prime Minister in Canada.

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Hear, hear.

UNION

George Brecken Nicholson

Unionist

Mr. NICHOLSON:

Let me repeat what I said a few moments ago. I do not wish to be unduly severe, but I say this-and I say it looking straight in the eye of the leader of the Opposition and I ask his supporters to take it to heart- the mere suggestion that the hon. the leader of the Opposition should ever be called upon to occupy the position of Prime Minister or any other office of a public character that would bring him into contact with the interests of the returned soldiers is a flagrant insult to every man who put the uniform on during the war and fought for his country.

Some hon. MEMBERS: