April 11, 1922

SELECT STANDING COMMITTEES

CHANGES IN MEMBERSHIP

CON

Arthur Meighen (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Right Hon. ARTHUR MEIGHEN (Leader of the Opposition) moved:

That the name of Mr. Neill be substituted for that of Mr. Hubbs on the Select Standing Committee on Marine and Fisheries, and that the name of Mr. Hubbs be substituted for that of Mr. Neill on the Select Standing Committee on Mines and Minerals:

That the name of Sir Henry Drayton be substituted for that of Mr. Garland (Carleton) on the Select Standing Committee on Railways, Canals and Telegraph lines, and that the name of Mr. Garland (Carleton) be substituted for that of Sir Henry Drayton on the Joint Committee of both Houses on the library.

Topic:   SELECT STANDING COMMITTEES
Subtopic:   CHANGES IN MEMBERSHIP

Motion agreed to.

CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION -EXAMINATIONS

On the Orders of the Day:

Georges Parent

Mr. GEORGE PARENT (Quebec West) :

Before the Orders of the Day are called, Mr. Speaker, I beg to bring the following matter to the attention of the House. I am informed that the Civil Service Commission, after leaving the public under the impression that civil service examinations would be held in the spring, has now decided that no such examinations shall be

C.N.R.-Minuter's Statement

held. I am also informed that many students have prepared themselves for these examinations. In view of these facts, I should like to know if the Government intends to take such steps as may be necessary to force the Commission to hold such examinations.

Topic:   CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION -EXAMINATIONS

Arthur Bliss Copp (Secretary of State of Canada)

Hon. A. B. COPP (Secretary of State) :

I have no definite information with regard to the matter, but I will make inquiries and let my hon. friend know what is being done, at the next sitting of the House.

Topic:   CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION -EXAMINATIONS

SIR MONTAGU ALLAN

On the Orders of the Day: Mr. 0. R. GOULD (Assiniboia) : Mr. Speaker, I would call the attention of the Government to a press report which states that Sir Montagu Allan is leaving Canada. Now, the affairs of the Merchants Bank have keenly interested the public quite recently, and under the circumstances I ant wondering what right this gentleman has to leave Canada. If he persists in staying away, will extradition proceedings be instituted to bring him back to Canada?

Lomer Gouin (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada)

Sir LOMER GOUIN (Minister of Justice) :

I have no information on this question. I will inquire of the attorneys representing the Government and will inform [my hon. friend at the next sitting of the House, or before, what has actually happened.

Topic:   SIR MONTAGU ALLAN

ORIENTAL IMMIGRATION

On the Orders of the Day:

CON

William Garland McQuarrie

Mr. W. G. McQUARRIE (New Westminister) :

Before the Orders of the Day

are called, may I ask the Prime Minister if it would be possible to fix a day for the discussion of the resolution dealing with oriental immigration, which stands on the Order Paper in my name, and to give it the right of way? I have been asked by a number of hon. gentlemen when the resolution is to come up, and I think it would be convenient if a day could be fixed. I suggest, if I am in order in doing so, Monday, the twenty-fourth.

Topic:   ORIENTAL IMMIGRATION

William Lyon Mackenzie King (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council; Secretary of State for External Affairs)

Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Prime Minister) :

Mr. Speaker, I certainly shall seek to meet the wishes of my hon. friend, but without knowing the order in which the several motions come, it is a little difficult to say offhand what day could be fixed. I will endeavour to arrange the matter with him, however, and in time to give the House due notice of the day on which the resolution may be taken up.

Topic:   ORIENTAL IMMIGRATION

PRIVILEGE-MR. KAY

On the Orders of the Day:

William Frederic Kay

Mr. W. F. KAY (Missisquoi) :

Mr. Speaker, I rise to a question of privilege. In the Halifax Herald of last Friday, the 7th of April, I find an article which is malicious false, and untrue. It is headed:

Wheat Board is cause of big political war among Liberals.

I will read the part of this article which refers to myself. Speaking of the Government, it says:

One of its main tactics is to raise the cry that the establishment of a national Wheat Board would be an interference with provincial rights and contrary to the British North America Act. Thus, when the question came up in the Agricultural Committee meeting yesterday, Mr. Kay, a friend of Mr. Robb, the Minister of Trade and Commerce, moved that the question be referred to the Supreme Court for a verdict upon its validity. The idea in Mr. Kay's mind, and in the mind of the Government, is that with the question before the Supreme Court, it would be safely shelved for the present.

It is hardly necessary for me to state, Mr. Speaker, to the House that as Chairman of the Committee on Agriculture I could not make a motion. The facts of the case are that the Committee on Agriculture passed unanimously a motion asking this House to refer the question of the constitutionality of the re-establishment of the Wheat Board to the Supreme Court of Canada. In my capacity as chairman of the committee, I presented that report to this House.

I may say, 'Sir, that my mind is absolutely unbiased as to the pros and cons of this very important question. And may I be allowed to say that the only suggestion which I have received from any member of the Government is that the Committee on Agriculture should be urged to give a free and full hearing to any parties interested in this most important question and to speed up and expedite in every way the report of the committee to the House. There is one word of truth, Sir, in this article,-which article I have declared to be malicious, false and untrue,-and that is that I am a friend of the hon. Minister of Trade and Commerce (Mr. Robb). To that allegation I plead guilty.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE-MR. KAY