February 27, 1923

Samuel William Jacobs

Mr. JACOBS:

He also said something

about _ this reduction being one that affects the widows and orphans of the soldiers who died overseas.

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Order.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF SOLDIERS' CIVIL REESTABLISHMENT

Henri Sévérin Béland (Minister of Soldiers' Civil Re-establishment; Minister presiding over the Department of Health)

Mr. BELAND:

If I am in order I have no objection to making a statement.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF SOLDIERS' CIVIL REESTABLISHMENT
CON

Henry Lumley Drayton

Sir HENRY DRAYTON:

Everything is

in order.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF SOLDIERS' CIVIL REESTABLISHMENT
CON

Henry Herbert Stevens

Mr. STEVENS:

Especially in the absence of the leader of the Opposition.

Mr. BELAND:

I have no desire at all to

say anything except this-the statement as it appeared in the newspapers is totally inaccurate and I cannot believe that the leader of the Opposition would have permitted such a statement to slip from his lips. I trust that later on it will be made apparent that I have good reason for expressing such a doubt.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF SOLDIERS' CIVIL REESTABLISHMENT
CON

Henry Lumley Drayton

Sir HENRY DRAYTON:

Apparently this is all in order. The only thing that I thought -and I may be wrong again-was that the leader of the Opposition, dealing with pledges made by hon. gentlemen across the carpet during the election period, dealing with their pledges that there would be a cash bonus given to soldiers, dealing with their pledges as to Soldiers' Civil Re-establishment, said that the only thing that had been done was that a reduction of $3,200,000 odd had been effected in the expenditure of this department. I ask the minister if that is not true?

Mr. BELAND:

There has been more than $3,000,000 of a reduction-

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF SOLDIERS' CIVIL REESTABLISHMENT
CON

Henry Lumley Drayton

Sir HENRY DRAYTON:

Certainly, that is what he said.

Mr. BELAND:

-but not at the expense of the widows and orphans of the men who died overseas.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF SOLDIERS' CIVIL REESTABLISHMENT

Item agreed to. Care of patients and medical examination of pensioners, $3,500,000.

CON

Henry Lumley Drayton

Sir HENRY DRAYTON:

I wonder if the minister can tell us the number of patients cared for at the time the last estimates were up for consideration, and the number of patients now in hospital.

Mr. BELAND:

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF SOLDIERS' CIVIL REESTABLISHMENT
CON

Henry Lumley Drayton

Sir HENRY DRAYTON:

That is this year?

Mr. BELAND:

That is as of the 31st December, 1922.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF SOLDIERS' CIVIL REESTABLISHMENT
CON

Henry Lumley Drayton

Sir HENRY DRAYTON:

What I wanted to get at was how the hospital population compared now with what we had before.

Mr. BELAND:

I misunderstood my hon. friend, but I hope the information I have given is satisfactory.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF SOLDIERS' CIVIL REESTABLISHMENT
CON

Henry Lumley Drayton

Sir HENRY DRAYTON:

Very interesting.

Mr. BELAND:

I will undertake to give my hon. friend the information he seeks. The

figures are:

December 31, 1919

8,031December 31, 1920

6,431December 31, 1921

5,930December 31, 1922

4,307

The hon. member will see that there is a reduction in the number of patients, happily, in our D. S. C. R. hospitals.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF SOLDIERS' CIVIL REESTABLISHMENT
PRO

Charles Wallace Stewart

Progressive

Mr. STEWART (Humboldt):

Could the hon. minister tell us the number classified as tubercular and mental, and tell us whether the number is reduced?

February 27, 1923