May 22, 1925

PRO
PRO

John Warwick King

Progressive

Mr. KING (Kootenay):

I explained that in the larger places there are charges, but the reports show that in Blind River there are 600 tons of incoming freight going over the dock. What would be a fair charge for storage? About ten cents a ton. You would collect about $60 a year. Who would collect it? If they have to collect that money for the government are they going to ask a percentage for the collection? To pay in wages would cost more than you would receive.

Topic:   SUPPLY PUBLIC WORKS
PRO

Robert Alexander Hoey

Progressive

Mr. HOEY:

The government would not need to col'ect if they did not put up storage facilities.

Topic:   SUPPLY PUBLIC WORKS
PRO

John Warwick King

Progressive

Mr. KING (Kootenay):

I do not quite

agree with that statement. Here the government expend $40,000 or $50,000 for the public convenience in order that the business of the country may go on. If it was necessary to build harbour works or a pier or a

wharf for the use of the public, then surely some form of shelter should be provided for storage and waiting-room purposes.

Topic:   SUPPLY PUBLIC WORKS
PRO

Thomas Alexander Crerar

Progressive

Mr. CRERAR:

If this warehouse is not provided by the government and the government strike out the vote what will happen? The people who are benefiting from the service-I take it probably the boat transportation companies-will make arrangements with the government for the building of the warehouse.

Topic:   SUPPLY PUBLIC WORKS
PRO
PRO

Thomas Alexander Crerar

Progressive

Mr. CRERAR:

I do not know. The hon. member for Cape Breton South and Richmond (Mr. Carroll) cited the case of the elevators erected by the government at Vancouver.

Topic:   SUPPLY PUBLIC WORKS
PRO

Thomas Alexander Crerar

Progressive

Mr. CRERAR:

Those stations are simply

a part of the service given by the government, from which it gets revenues.

Topic:   SUPPLY PUBLIC WORKS
PRO

Thomas Alexander Crerar

Progressive

Mr. CRERAR:

Does it not collect revenues in freight and passenger charges?

Topic:   SUPPLY PUBLIC WORKS

George Newcombe Gordon (Deputy Speaker and Chair of Committees of the Whole of the House of Commons)

The CHAIRMAN:

Order, order. I wish

there would not be so many interruptions.

Topic:   SUPPLY PUBLIC WORKS

The CHAIRMAN:

I wish hon. members

would not make so many comments but would wait till the member addressing the Chair is through.

Topic:   SUPPLY PUBLIC WORKS
PRO

Thomas Alexander Crerar

Progressive

Mr. CRERAR:

I want to put the hon.

member for Cape Breton South and Richmond right, because he wants to be right, and it is very rarely that he is wrong. A definite charge is made on the grain passing through the elevator for the service rendered. I submit that is a wholly sound principle to apply in governmental policy. But I do not think it is a sound principle to expend public money in Vancouver, or Blind River, or anywhere else, merely to benefit a few people who live in that locality. That is all I am saying. In the case of the expenditure in relation to the public elevators, every bushel of wheat that goes through these government elevators pays a tax or a charge to the government for the service rendered, which is absolutely sound

Supply-Public Works

also, and if my hon. friend from Cape Breton South and Richmond will look up the records, I think he will find that the revenue received by the Department of Trade and Commerce from the grain passing through elevators owned by the government, for the inspection and weighing service rendered in connection with the handling of the grain, exceeds by several hundred thousands of dollars a year the Moneys expended by the government to give he service.

Topic:   SUPPLY PUBLIC WORKS
PRO

Thomas Alexander Crerar

Progressive

Mr. CRERAR:

If my hon. friend will look up the records he will find that that is correct.

Topic:   SUPPLY PUBLIC WORKS