June 14, 1934

CON

Richard Bedford Bennett (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council; Secretary of State for External Affairs)

Mr. BENNETT:

I believe the word "or"

should be used.

Topic:   CANADA SHIPPING ACT
CON

Richard Burpee Hanson

Mr. HANSON (Y'ork-Sunbury):

I suggest the minister should give some consideration to the wording. Then, may I make the further suggestion that they raise the ante.

Topic:   CANADA SHIPPING ACT
CON

Alfred Duranleau (Minister of Fisheries; Minister of Marine)

Mr. DURANLEAU:

Do you wish to have it stand?

Topic:   CANADA SHIPPING ACT
CON

Richard Burpee Hanson

Mr. HANSON (York-Sunbury):

I am

merely making representations; I do not care what happens to it.

Joseph Philippe Baby Casgrain

Mr. CASGRAIN:

Something has been

drawn to my attention which, it seems to me, should be mentioned to the committee. 1 have before me a copy in English of Bill E of the Senate, an act respecting shipping, as passed by the Senate on May 31,1934. I have, also, the French version of Bill E, Senat du Canada, Loi concernant la marine marchande. When I compare the French and English

versions of the definitions we are now passing I find they do not correspond. For instance, in the English version I find in subsection 88 the words "Safety radiotelegraph certificate". Then, I find that subsection 88 in the French version is as follows:

(Translation) "Chairman" (president) means the Chairman of the Board of Steamship Inspection (8).

Edgar-Rodolphe-Eugène Chevrier

Mr. CHEVRIER:

Would the hon. gentleman look at definition 16 in the French version?

Topic:   CANADA SHIPPING ACT
CON

Charles Napoléon Dorion

Mr. DORION (Translation):

Mr. Chairman, if the hon. member for Charlevoix-Saguenay (Mr. Casgrain) had read the explanatory note which is at the bottom of the first page, he would have found the following:

The definitions are arranged alphabetically. At the end of each is found the number of the corresponding definition in the French version of this act, the alphabetical order being necessarily different in the two languages.

Therefore, we are following the alphabetical order of the French definition. The same applies to the English definitions. That is why the numbers do not correspond.

Mr. BENNETT:

There are certain difficulties in the French translation. When the English copy was finished the French translation was entrusted to Mr. Montigny, and it has been observed that there are several discrepancies between the English and the French sections. I am glad that the hon. gentleman has brought it to the attention of the committee because it had to be done sooner or later. The French version has been sent back to Mr. Montigny for correction.

Edgar-Rodolphe-Eugène Chevrier

Mr. CHEVRIER:

May I point out that if hon. gentlemen will look at the end of the subsections they will note the number of the corresponding definition in the French version. For instance, the corresponding French definition of the English definition of Safety Radiotelegraph Certificate in subsection 88 will be found in subsection 16 of the French version.

Subsection stands.

Subsections 90 to 93 inclusive agreed to.

On subsection 94-Ship.

Thomas Reid

Mr. REID:

Might I point out to the minister that there are two definitions, one of ship, and the other of vessel. I do not think the definition of "ship" goes far enough. When we get to section 3 the word "vessel" is used. "Ship" is defined as including every descrip-

Canada Shipping Act

tion of vessel used in navigation not propelled by oars. That might mean that to come under the definition of "ship" a vessel has to be self-propelled, but out on the Pacific coast we have what are called log barges. The logs are piled on top of one another to the height of perhaps eight feet. A patent was obtained for this type of barge. I do not think it would be included in this definition.

Mr. BENNETT:

The definition of "ship"

covers it.

Topic:   CANADA SHIPPING ACT
CON

Alfred Duranleau (Minister of Fisheries; Minister of Marine)

Mr. DURANLEAU:

I suppose that the

situation my hon. friend speaks of has existed for years.

Thomas Reid

Mr. REID:

No. At the moment I do not

remember the exact name of the type of barge I am speaking of but it was patented a few years ago, and before you can use that type for towing logs you must obtain permission from the patentee. The booms of logs are piled one on top of the other, and these rafts travel quite a distance. They are different from any other form of navigation.

Topic:   CANADA SHIPPING ACT
CON

Alfred Duranleau (Minister of Fisheries; Minister of Marine)

Mr. DURANLEAU:

I hope my hon. friend will be satisfied when I tell him that this definition has existed in the British law and in our own law for years, and we have never had any trouble over it, so I do not think it will be necessary to make any change.

Topic:   CANADA SHIPPING ACT
CON

Alfred Duranleau (Minister of Fisheries; Minister of Marine)

Mr. DURANLEAU:

And in the Canada

Shipping Act. It has been the law of the land for years, and there has never been any objection or complaint.

Mr. BENNETT:

The definition covers

every kind of vessel.

Topic:   CANADA SHIPPING ACT

Subsection agreed to. Subsections 95 to 98 inclusive agreed to. On subsection 99-Sick mariner.

CON

Thomas Cantley

Mr. CANTLEY:

There is some mistake in this definition. It says:

"Sick mariner" includes any person employed on board any ship in respect of which the duty has been paid.

That must be a mistake. I suppose what is meant is any person whose services on the ship are being paid for. It is not right as it is. Some of the lawyers can fix it up.

Edgar-Rodolphe-Eugène Chevrier

Mr. CHEVRIER:

And afterwards somebody will complain about the translation.

June 14, 1934