June 5, 1935

DOMINION NOTES ACT

On the orders of the day: Hon, E. N. RHODES (Minister of Finance): Yesterday the hon. member for New Westminster (Mr. Reid) submitted a question as to whether the Dominion Notes Act had been repealed. It has. Both the Dominion Notes Act and the Finance Act were repealed and proclamation was accordingly issued in the Canada Gazette as of March 11.

CON

Edgar Nelson Rhodes (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Mr. RHODES:

The date the Bank of

Canada came into operation.

Topic:   DOMINION NOTES ACT

CANADIAN GRAIN BOARD

On the orders of the day:

William Lyon Mackenzie King (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Leader of the Opposition):

Having in mind what was said by the Prime Minister some days ago and what now appears on the order paper, I assume that the house has before it notice at least of practically all the legislation which the government intends to introduce before the close of the session. I wish to say to my right hon. friend that if, with respect to one or two of these matters, we were aware of the intention of the government, I think it would be possible for us to expedite the proceedings of the house with a view to having them brought to a close at a fairly early date. There is one resolution which was placed on the order paper by the government on March 4; it has reference to the establishment of a Canadian grain board. I might say that the

Seizure of Schooner Paul T.

members on this side have refrained from questioning the government with respect to this particular resolution, appreciating the fact that there are many circumstances which will have to be very carefully considered and that the whole situation is a very delicate one. I think, however, it is advisable, that there should be, owing to its importance, a full discussion of the situation, before the house rises. I therefore ask my right hon<. friend at once if he is in a position to say whether or not the government intends to proceed with the resolution, and whether we may expect that an opportunity will be given at a fairly early date to discuss the matters related thereto.

Topic:   CANADIAN GRAIN BOARD
CON

Richard Bedford Bennett (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council; Secretary of State for External Affairs)

Right Hon. R. B. BENNETT (Prime Minister) :

I appreciate the terms in which the right hon. gentleman has spoken and his desire and that of his associates to expedite the business of the house. If it will be satisfactory, barring unforeseen circumstances, we will proceed with the grain board resolution on Monday next as the first order of business. I think the desire was to get through with as many of these, shall I say, more formal matters, and to proceed with this one as soon as possible. I would have proceeded with it before, but as the right hon. gentleman knows unforeseen circumstances in connection with the illness of many people have had their effect-not my own illness particularly but that of others as well. If, therefore, it is quite satisfactory, we will proceed with the resolution on Monday.

Topic:   CANADIAN GRAIN BOARD

CANADIAN FARM LOAN ACT

On the orders of the day:

Thomas Reid

Mr. THOMAS REID (New Westminster):

Can the Minister of Finance tell me whether an official has been appointed for the province of British Cblumbia under the Farm Loan Act? If so, when was the appointment made and to whom was it given?

Topic:   CANADIAN FARM LOAN ACT
CON

Edgar Nelson Rhodes (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Hon. E. N. RHODES (Minister of Finance):

I should not care to rely on my memory and give an answer at the moment. I will reply to-morrow.

Topic:   CANADIAN FARM LOAN ACT

COOPERATIVE SOCIETIES

On the orders of the day:

CON

Right Hon. R. B. BENNETT (Prime Minister) :

With respect to the question asked by the hon. member for Bow River (Mr. Garland) yesterday, the provisions of the Marketing Act as amended at the present session meet the recommendations of the price spreads commission.

HOUSING COMMITTEE'S REPORT On the orders of the day:

Topic:   COOPERATIVE SOCIETIES
LAB

James Shaver Woodsworth

Labour

Mr. J. S. WOODSWORTH (Winnipeg North Centre):

May we expect legislation implementing the report of the housing committee?

Topic:   COOPERATIVE SOCIETIES
CON

Right Hon. R. B. BENNETT (Prime Minister) :

there is a resolution on the order paper with respect to it. The resolution will indicate the extent to which the government is prepared to go at the present session and the legislation will amplify that more fully.

GRADE CROSSINGS On the orders of the day:

Topic:   COOPERATIVE SOCIETIES
CON

Robert James Manion (Minister of Railways and Canals)

Hon. R. J. MANION (Minister of Railways) :

The hon. member for West Middlesex (Mr. Elliott) has been asking a number of times regarding grade eliminations. I have the information he desires. It is to the effect that since the first of January, 1933>, twenty-two crossings or forty-one per cent of those eliminated were urban and thirty-two or fifty-nine per cent -were rural. In Hansard of yesterday I gave the hon. gentleman some information but unfortunately the figures were turned round by mistake. The correct division should have been seventy per cent rural and thirty per cent urban; the figures were reversed in Hansard by mistake.

Topic:   COOPERATIVE SOCIETIES

John Campbell Elliott

Mr. ELLIOTT:

Would it be convenient to get a list of the crossings-the locations?

Topic:   COOPERATIVE SOCIETIES