June 17, 1935

CON

Pierre Édouard Blondin (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

Not to discuss a statement made by the Prime Minister. If the hon. gentleman wishes to state his position, he may do so.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE-MR. SANDERSON

Frederick George Sanderson

Mr. SANDERSON:

I am attempting

to do that. I am only referring to remarks of the Prime Minister on Friday last when he said-

Topic:   PRIVILEGE-MR. SANDERSON
CON

Pierre Édouard Blondin (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

I have heard them read by the hon. member, but he was continuing to say that he was surprised at something. Will he be good enough to make whatever correction he wants to make?

Topic:   PRIVILEGE-MR. SANDERSON

Frederick George Sanderson

Mr. SANDERSON:

My surprise is this, that the Prime Minister in referring to a vote of a standing committee of this house, should take the vote from a newspaper rather than from the recorded vote of a committee of the house. I am attempting, if Your Honour will permit me, to refer to the recorded vote.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE-MR. SANDERSON
CON

Pierre Édouard Blondin (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

Will the hon. member kindly state the point to which be wishes to take objection? I presume he wishes to make the correction if he did not vote.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE-MR. SANDERSON
CON

Pierre Édouard Blondin (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

Will the hon. member be kind enough not to make a speech, but to make the correction he wishes and confine his remarks to that.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE-MR. SANDERSON

Frederick George Sanderson

Mr. SANDERSON:

I am not attempting to make a speech. I want to put on record that I was not at that meeting on March 22 as a member of that committee. I was not in Ottawa and consequently was not at the meeting. The recorded minutes of that meeting-and I have them under my hand-of Thursday, March 22, 1934, show that there were forty-four members present at that meeting out of a total of fifty. I was one of the absentees; I was not there and consequently I did not vote. My point is that the Prime Minister has no right to count me as opposing the motion in regard to publishing the quantity of wheat that Mr. McFarland and his associates had on hand. Had I been at. that meeting, I would have voted to publish the report.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE-MR. SANDERSON
CON

Pierre Édouard Blondin (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

The hon. member has no right to make a statement like that. He can make a correction, but he should not make 3uch a statement.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE-MR. SANDERSON

CANADIAN GRAIN BOARD

MEETING OP SELECT COMMITTEE TO CONSIDER BILL

On the orders of the day:

William Lyon Mackenzie King (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Leader of the Opposition):

May I ask the Prime Minister, who is chairman of the committee to which the grain board bill has been referred, if he will kindly advise the house as to when the committee is to be called together?

Topic:   CANADIAN GRAIN BOARD
Subtopic:   MEETING OP SELECT COMMITTEE TO CONSIDER BILL
CON

Richard Bedford Bennett (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council; Secretary of State for External Affairs)

Right Hon. R. B. BENNETT (Prime Minister):

I am not chairman of it. The committee selects its own chairman.

Topic:   CANADIAN GRAIN BOARD
Subtopic:   MEETING OP SELECT COMMITTEE TO CONSIDER BILL

William Lyon Mackenzie King (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. MACKENZIE KING:

I assume the right hon. gentleman will be.

Topic:   CANADIAN GRAIN BOARD
Subtopic:   MEETING OP SELECT COMMITTEE TO CONSIDER BILL
CON

Mr. BENNETT:

The right hon. gentleman should not make any such- assumption. The point is I am not the chairman of the committee; it will select its own- chairman, but I have ascertained that the course to pursue is to try to give notice for it to meet tomorrow morning. As my name is the first alphabetically and the convener, I have asked that the members of the committee be communicated with as far as possible to meet to-morrow morning at half past ten o'clock.

Topic:   CANADIAN GRAIN BOARD
Subtopic:   MEETING OP SELECT COMMITTEE TO CONSIDER BILL

AIR TRANSPORTATION

On the orders of the day:

William Daum Euler

Hon. W. D. EULER (North Waterloo):

In the absence of the Minister of Railways (Mr. Manion), I should like to ask the Prime Minister whether it is a fact that the two railways, the Canadian National and the Canadian Pacific, have formed an organization for the purpose of carrying on the business of transportation by air?

Topic:   AIR TRANSPORTATION