June 20, 1936

James Garfield Gardiner (Minister of Agriculture)

Mr. GARDINER:

I am not going to take so long to make my points as my right hon. friend took, but that was the point he made.

Mr. BENNETT; It was not the point.

Topic:   AGRICULTURE AND COLONIZATION
Subtopic:   AGRICULTURAL IMPLEMENT PRICES-RECOMMENDATION THAT INQUIRY BE CONTINUED NEXT SESSION BY SPECIAL COMMITTEE

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Order.

Topic:   AGRICULTURE AND COLONIZATION
CON

Richard Bedford Bennett (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. BENNETT:

You can call "order" as much as you like.

Malcolm McLean

Mr. McLEAN (Melfort):

What is the point of order to which the hon. member for Calgary West (Mr. Bennett) is addressing himself, I should like to ask, Mr. Speaker?

Topic:   AGRICULTURE AND COLONIZATION
CON

Richard Bedford Bennett (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. BENNETT:

Mr. Speaker, the statement attributed to me was not made. I ask therefore that it be withdrawn.

Topic:   AGRICULTURE AND COLONIZATION

James Garfield Gardiner (Minister of Agriculture)

Mr. GARDINER:

Mr. Speaker, the hon. gentleman argued a few moments ago that the paying of 87| cents a bushel on wheat under conditions where only one-fifth of the wheat of Canada is consumed in Canada meant the compelling of the payment with respect to the other four-fifths by those who were consuming that particular commodity in Canada of anywhere from 5 to 10 cents a bushel; or he indicated that if it were 5 cents a bushel it would be a certain amount, if it were 10 cents a bushel it would be a certain amount, and this was assistance which was going to the farmers of Canada at the expense of all the population. He pointed over to this side of the house-I do not know Why, because there are members from western Canada sitting on the other side-and called the attention of the house to the fact that western members were making certain requests in spite of the fact that they were getting this assistance from the people of Canada through the government of Canada. Well, if there was any point at all in placing an argument of that kind before the house it was to try to convince hon. members that some consideration was being given to the farmers in addition to the consideration which is being given to people in other parts of this dominion. I suggest to the hon. gentleman, when he speaks of butter coming in from Australia, that the government of Canada for years has been subsidizing boats to bring butter from Australia into Canada to compete with our farmers. I suggest to him also that the government of Canada, whether Liberal or Conservative, has since the time of confederation been assisting other lines of industry. I am standing in my place to-day not for the purpose of objecting to the assistance that has been given, but for the purpose of pointing out to the leader of the opposition that when he contends that agriculture is getting more consideration than some other lines of industry in this country-

Topic:   AGRICULTURE AND COLONIZATION
CON

Richard Bedford Bennett (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. BENNETT:

I did not say that or contend that.

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Order.

Topic:   AGRICULTURE AND COLONIZATION
CON

Richard Bedford Bennett (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. BENNETT:

No, I am not going to permit that statement to be made. I have tolerated this long enough.

Malcolm McLean

Mr. McLEAN (Melfort):

Tolerated it, oh!

3968 COMMONS

Agriculture-Implement Prices

Topic:   AGRICULTURE AND COLONIZATION
CON

Richard Bedford Bennett (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. BENNETT:

Yes, tolerated it-that is what I said.

Topic:   AGRICULTURE AND COLONIZATION

James Garfield Gardiner (Minister of Agriculture)

Mr. GARDINER:

Some of us think we have tolerated the hon. gentleman for quite a long time.

Topic:   AGRICULTURE AND COLONIZATION
CON

Richard Bedford Bennett (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. BENNETT:

Mr. Speaker, I rise to a point of order. You had to deal with this thing the other day. No member from his place can attribute a statement to another member which he did not make.

Topic:   AGRICULTURE AND COLONIZATION

James Garfield Gardiner (Minister of Agriculture)

Mr. GARDINER:

Mr. Speaker, I have been following the argument of the hon. gentleman-

Topic:   AGRICULTURE AND COLONIZATION
CON

Richard Bedford Bennett (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. BENNETT:

That is not the point. The question is the statement.

Topic:   AGRICULTURE AND COLONIZATION

James Garfield Gardiner (Minister of Agriculture)

Mr. GARDINER:

-and I think the conclusions I drew were reasonable inferences.

Topic:   AGRICULTURE AND COLONIZATION
CON

Richard Bedford Bennett (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. BENNETT:

I am not complaining of conclusions. I am talking of the statement which the hon. member said was made by me, which I did not make, and which every member of the house knows I did not make.

Topic:   AGRICULTURE AND COLONIZATION

James Garfield Gardiner (Minister of Agriculture)

Mr. GARDINER:

What is the statement?

Topic:   AGRICULTURE AND COLONIZATION
CON

Richard Bedford Bennett (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. BENNETT:

I wish to have that statement withdrawn, Mr. Speaker.

Topic:   AGRICULTURE AND COLONIZATION

James Garfield Gardiner (Minister of Agriculture)

Mr. GARDINER:

I would ask the hon. gentleman what the statement is that he did not make.

June 20, 1936