November 29, 1940

An hon. MEMBER:

Are they soldiers?

Topic:   SUSPENSION OF STANDING ORDER 57-COMMITTEES OF SUPPLY AND WAYS AND MEANS
SC

Ernest George Hansell

Social Credit

Mr. HANSELL:

No, they are not soldiers; this picture was taken a few years ago. These men were looking for work but could not find it; no doubt some of them are still looking for it.

Now, Mr. Speaker, I am only half way through my speech but I see my time is rapidly becoming exhausted; I have been interrupted a number of times.

Another dictator picture appears in this pamphlet on page 20, under the heading "Electoral Slavery". It shows a man in one of the dictatorship countries marking his ballot while another man in uniform stands watching to see how he votes. On page 21 we see another clever Canadian picture, showing three men going to vote. The one dropping his ballot in the box looks as though he might be a clerk in a store. The man behind him looks as though he might be a shoemaker; he is wearing an apron. The third man is dressed in a coat a little too large for him and his bowler hat is coming down over his ears a bit. Well, they are the general type of our working people. Then there is a ballot, presumably a facsimile of an actual ballot. I do not criticize this picture very much, but the first name on the ballot is that of Pierre Blanchette, and the X is marked opposite his name. I think perhaps he was a fairly good Liberal. Next is the name of Mr. Arthur Hamon, a farmer. He did not get the vote. Next is Joseph O'Neil, Eastview, gentleman. He did not get the vote. The fourth name is that of John Thomas Smith, merchant. He did not get the vote either. Mr. Pierre Blanchette, who got the vote, is said to be a barrister; and these men, representing the rank and file of our people, are casting their ballots. You can see the psychology of all this; whether or not it was intended I do not know.

UNITY

Dorise Winifred Nielsen

Unity

Mrs. NIELSEN:

And not a woman's name on the list?

SC

Ernest George Hansell

Social Credit

Mr. HANSELL:

Sub-subtopic:   CONTINUATION OF DEBATE ON ADDRESS IN REPLY

Ernest Lapointe (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada)

Mr. LAPOINTE (Quebec East):

If I am not mistaken that is an exact facsimile of the ballot contained in the election law; at any rate these are the same names.

SC

Ernest George Hansell

Social Credit

Mr. HANSELL:

It may be; I do not say it is not. I have been interrupted a good many times, Mr. Speaker, and I want to remind hon. members that I am not criticizing this; I am pointing out the clever psychology underlying the whole thing. I do not say this is not a good pamphlet.

The Address

Mr. Warren

Sub-subtopic:   CONTINUATION OF DEBATE ON ADDRESS IN REPLY

Georges Parent (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

Order. I am sorry to have to inform the hon. gentleman that his time has expired.

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Go ahead.

Sub-subtopic:   CONTINUATION OF DEBATE ON ADDRESS IN REPLY

Ernest Lapointe (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada)

Mr. LAPOINTE (Quebec East):

Five

minutes more.

Sub-subtopic:   CONTINUATION OF DEBATE ON ADDRESS IN REPLY

Georges Parent (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

If it is the pleasure of the house.

SC

Ernest George Hansell

Social Credit

Mr. HANSELL:

The next part of my speech, Mr. Speaker, deals with an entirely different matter. I regret very much that I have not time to complete it.

SC

Charles Edward Johnston

Social Credit

Mr. JOHNSTON (Bow River):

Go ahead.

SC

Ernest George Hansell

Social Credit

Mr. HANSELL:

No; it would take more than five minutes. Therefore I thank you, Mr. Speaker. I will save what I have to say for another occasion.

Sub-subtopic:   CONTINUATION OF DEBATE ON ADDRESS IN REPLY

Ernest Lapointe (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada)

Mr. LAPOINTE (Quebec East):

It was a good speech, anyway.

Ralph Melville Warren

Mr. R. M. WARREN (Renfrew North):

Mr. Speaker, I am just a little concerned now, after seeing how the hon. member for Macleod (Mr. Hansell) had just got nicely started on his speech by the time his forty minutes expired, as to whether or not I have prepared too much material. I propose to dispense with the preliminaries with regard to the mover and the seconder of the address. I need only say that I endorse the fine things that were said in reference to those two hon. gentlemen and the speeches they made.

I have been greatly impressed with many of the addresses which have been made during the course of this debate, particularly those by the Prime Minister (Mr. Mackenzie King) and the various members of his cabinet. The addresses to which we have listened contained much valuable information and told a story of achievement and progress in our war effort of which we as Canadians should be proud and for which we have no reason whatever to be ashamed.

I should like to refer particularly to one member of the cabinet; that is, the hon. member for Kingston City (Mr. Macdonald). I have already informed the hon. member that we in eastern Ontario, and particularly we in the constituency of Renfrew North, regard him as rather a special cabinet minister as far as we are concerned. He takes the place of the late Hon. Mr. Rogers, who was taken from us in such a tragic manner and in whom, during his term of office, we of Renfrew North always had a splendid friend, supporter and helper whenever we needed the benefit of his wisdom and advice in carrying on the affairs of our constituency. The hon. member for Kingston City made a most remarkable -contribution to this debate. His

splendid appearance, his musical voice and his wonderful command of the English language made his address a pleasure indeed to hear.

For just a moment I should like -to refer to some of the statements made by the hon. member for Peterborough West (Mr. Fraser) concerning conditions at the military camp at Petawawa. The hon,. member complained of the climate and of the distance of the camp from any large centre of population. I should like to say to the hon. member that in my opinion the soldiers at Petawawa will not suffer any more during the winter months than they would suffer at times in such districts as Kingston or even Toronto. I know when there is an east wind blowing off the open water toward the -city of Toronto, one may suffer a good deal more from cold than he would if he were in the drier climate of a district such as Petawawa.

Then, the desirability of having the camps nearer larger centres is a point which could be argued. I believe some officers in the army would not agree that it is always advantageous to -have a camp located outside a large centre of population. At the camp in question we have something which, I am sure, will be appreciated during the winter months, namely, an abundant supply of wood of all kinds to be used as fuel, and which can be supplied for only the cost of cutting and hauling. While that wood may be cut under the supervision of forestry officials, so as to prevent its being slashed down indiscriminately, -there will be a good supply of fuel and at the same time the best timber will be left standing. Where there is a hundred square miles of bush there can be no doubt as to there being an abundant supply of cheap fuel for many years to come.

Splendid contributions have been -made to the debate by hon. members from all parts of the house. I would refer particularly to a portion of the speech made yesterday by the hon. member for Waterloo South (Mr. Homuth). At page 490 of Hansard he is reported to have said:

There is no one who would -at any time question the courage of the men in our army, our air force, and our navy. The fact that they are in the service is sufficient evidence of their courage. But we must have courage in other places in this country. We must have courage in this house. We must have courage in this government-courage to do the things which are necessary to the war effort, courage to pass such laws as are necessary to give the greatest help we can to the mother country in this hour of extreme peril. I feel that sometimes we are inclined to softpedal some of our responsibilities because of some political effect that action might have on portions of our population. That thing must not be. Here in this house, and particularly with the ministers, there must be courage to face these issues as we have never faced issues before.

The Address-Mr. Warren

I compliment the hon. member for Waterloo South upon that statement; but I believe I would go farther and say that private members in the house ought to keep in mind that we, too, require courage in facing any issue which may come before us in these years of war and peril.

I have been impressed with this fact; In the early days of the session the Minister of National Defence (Mr. Ralston) made it clear that it would not be practicable to give free transportation to soldiers. Yet, as was stated by the hon. member for Macleod, from all quarters of this chamber we have heard plea after plea asking for free transportation for the soldiers. Sometimes, when I have listened to those pleas, I have wondered whether they have been made because those who make them know that it is the popular attitude to take. I wonder whether sometimes it is a display of lack of courage, and an indication that we would rather travel the easy path and support the popular proposal. I am sure all hon. members would like to be able to help each soldier in Canada to obtain free transportation to his home for the Christmas holidays. We know that the wives, children, fathers and mothers of those men would be delighted if that free transportation could be given by the government. But when we know that from the government's point of view it is impracticable-

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Why?

CCF

Thomas Clement (Tommy) Douglas

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. DOUGLAS (Weyburn):

Why is it?

An hon. MEMBER:

Have we not the railways and the coaches?

CCF

Thomas Clement (Tommy) Douglas

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. DOUGLAS (Weyburn):

We do not know it, as the hon. member suggests we do.

Ralph Melville Warren

Mr. WARREN:

Why keep asking members of the government to do that? Why do we do it? It would appear that those of us who approve free transportation desire to be regarded as good fellows, while the ministers who know that it is impracticable are bad fellows.

November 29, 1940