June 6, 1944

NAT

Gordon Graydon (Leader of the Official Opposition)

National Government

Mr. GRAYDON:

May we have an explanation of the bill?

Topic:   PRIVATE BILL
Subtopic:   THE GENERAL MISSIONARY SOCIETY OF THE GERMAN BAPTIST CHURCHES OF NORTH AMERICA-CHANGE OF NAME

Frederick Clayton Casselman

Mrs. CASSELMAN:

This society was first incorporated under the statutes of the state of New York. The word "German" in its title became objectionable to its members and in 1942 they asked that it be dropped in the main body in the state of New York. That was done. They are now asking that the body incorporated in Canada in 1922 under that name also have the word "German" removed from its title.

Motion agreed to and bill read the first time.

Topic:   PRIVATE BILL

AID TO GREECE

MESSAGE OF THANKS FROM PRIME MINISTER PAPANDREOU FOR SHIPMENTS OF FOOD

On the orders of the day:

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Prime Minister):

I received last night the following telegram from the new Prime Minister of Greece in reference to shipments of food which have gone from Canada to Greece. The house will be much interested in its contents. The telegram is as follows:

Cairo, June 5, 1944. The Right Hon. W. L. Mackenzie King,

Prime Minister of Canada,

Ottawa.

In assuming the premiership of the Royal Hellenic government of national union I wish to express to you and to the government and people of Canada the profound gratitude of the Greek nation for the vital help which they are receiving from your generous country in their appalling plight. Having lived in Greece until a few weeks ago and having shared in the unprecedented burden of famine and oppression which has not succeeded in crushing the spirit of my countrymen I feel entitled to convey to you this recognition of Canada's assistance and also to appeal for the greater possible development of these shipments to Greece without which the Greek nation cruelly decimated as it is would be threatened with total extinction. Please let all Canadians know that the food grown in the rich and free lands of their fine country is helping to save the life of a nation bn whose soil liberty was first born and was constantly defended throughout long centuries, a nation which is now tortured and mutilated

more than ever because it has refused to deny its ancient creed in the freedom and dignity of man.

Papandreou,

Prime Minister of Greece.

To that communication I sent the following reply this morning:

Ottau'a, June 6, 1944. His Excellency George Papandreou,

Prime Minister of Greece,

Cairo, Egypt.

I am deeply grateful to you for your moving message expressing the gratitude of the Greek nation for the shipments of food from Canada. It has been a source of pride and thankfulness to the government and people of Canada that during the past two years they have been able to provide some relief in this manner .to the people of Greece. It is fitting that the ancient seat of human freedom should be sustained during the time of its darkest tribulation by the young and free Canadian people. I trust that the aid already brought to Greece in its struggle for survival will increase in volume until liberation has been achieved. May the day of liberation be near.

W. L. Mackenzie King

Topic:   AID TO GREECE
Subtopic:   MESSAGE OF THANKS FROM PRIME MINISTER PAPANDREOU FOR SHIPMENTS OF FOOD

PRISONERS OF WAR

INQUIRY AS TO SHOOTING OF BRITONS AND CANADIANS IN GERMANY

On the orders of the day:

NAT

Gordon Graydon (Leader of the Official Opposition)

National Government

Mr. GORDON GRAYDON (Leader of the Opposition):

I have a question to direct to the Prime Minister which arises out of a statement made by the Acting Secretary of State for External Affairs (Mr. St. Laurent) in a statement on May 19, 1944. Has the Prime Minister any information to convey to the house with respect to the investigations being made by the protecting power into the shooting of forty-seven British and Canadian prisoners of war in Germany

Topic:   PRISONERS OF WAR
Subtopic:   INQUIRY AS TO SHOOTING OF BRITONS AND CANADIANS IN GERMANY

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Prime Minister):

I have no information to give to the house at the moment. I am sure that the protecting power, Switzerland, is doing all possible to obtain the information for us, but my hon. friend will recognize it can only be secured with the cooperation of Germany. Up to the present we have not received any further word, but the Swiss government is fully aware of our anxiety and desire to get information at the earliest possible moment.

Topic:   PRISONERS OF WAR
Subtopic:   INQUIRY AS TO SHOOTING OF BRITONS AND CANADIANS IN GERMANY

INDIAN AFFAIRS

MEETING OF INDIAN DELEGATES IN CONVENTION IN OTTAWA

On the orders of the day:

CCF

Joseph William Noseworthy

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. J. W. NOSEWORTHY (York South):

Has the Minister of Mines and Resources been requested to meet Indian delegates in con-

Indian Affairs

vention here or to provide room for their accommodation; if so, what provision has been -made?

Topic:   INDIAN AFFAIRS
Subtopic:   MEETING OF INDIAN DELEGATES IN CONVENTION IN OTTAWA

Thomas Alexander Crerar (Minister of Mines and Resources)

Hon. T. A. CRERAR (Minister of Mines and Resources):

The hon. member was good enough to send me an intimation before three o'clock that he proposed to ask this question; and since the matter to which it relates has been the subject of reports in the newspapers and I believe was also mentioned on the radio last evening, perhaps I should answer his question a little more fully than by a mere "yes" or "no".

On May 19 I received a letter from one who purported to be the leader of the Indians of Canada. His name is Jules Sioui, of Loretteville, Quebec. Perhaps I should read the letter. It is as followp:

Dear Sir,

It is my duty to acquaint you with'the final decision of the Indian chiefs of each tribe throughout the country, namely, that without exception they will all be present at the great convention which will be held in Ottawa from the fifth to the tenth of June.

It is understood that you are the general superintendent of Indian affairs but it is known that you have a great number of assistants and agents who are guilty of serious irregularities since many years toward the Indians.

Here is the claim of the Indian people for the next convention which will be held, from the fifth of June; according to them the promises which were made by Her Majesty and others, either by proclamation or treaty, have not been respected either by your department or by the government itself. Therefore, the Indian people want it to be known that it cannot live and is not willing to go on living as it does, in a state which is not tolerable. That is why they will have a meeting with the object of dictating the future of the nation for their offspring.

Being the leader of the Indian people I am requested to hereby notify you that the Indian chiefs ask that a convenient place be prepared for the holding of their meeting -which will last five days at least; and in view of the scarcity of rooms in the hotels, we also ask you to take the necessary steps for the erection of large tents where they will be able to sleep. It is understood that they will pay the installation cost of those tents.

I think it is necessary to draw your attention to the fact that the Indian chiefs are determined to be peaceful and gentle, but they have decided that your department and the government will have to change the situation from A to Z, believe it or not.

Yours truly,

Jules Sioui,

Leader of the Indians of Canada

Post Office, Loretteville, Que. *

My reply to that was as follows:

M. E. J. Bastien,

Indian Agent,

Village Des Hurons, Quebec.

Please advise Jules Sioui that his letter of May 15 has received my personal attention and that the department does not recognize his leadership of any group of Indians in Canada

100-225J

and also that it is my earnest desire that the proposed convention should not be proceeded with as there is no accommodation here. Extreme pressure of business makes it impossible for the authorities to meet a large gathering. Director of Indian Affairs will be ready to receive a small delegation of about six Indians if recommended by their agents.

T. A. Crerar.

In spite of this, Jules Sioui turned up yesterday with a number of Indians. There may be some chiefs in this group of Indians whose presence in Ottawa has received considerable publicity, but I doubt if there are many. Sioui has no standing whatever as leader of the Indians in Canada. Yesterday he sent a request that I meet him and the delegation. I refused to do so, for two reasons. In the first place he is not the leader of the Indians of Canada; in the second place Sioui has been convicted of offences twice in the last six or seven years and has served gaol sentences. Not only that, but at the present time he is before the courts on a charge which, if ultimately proven, will land him in gaol again. I am doing no injustice to the Indians of Canada when I refuse to see him. I have sent word to the Indians present here in Ottawa that if they wish to appoint a small delegation of five or six I shall be glad to see them in my office in the House of Commons at five-thirty this afternoon, but I would not receive Sioui if he came with them as a delegate. I think that answers the question of my hon. friend.

Topic:   INDIAN AFFAIRS
Subtopic:   MEETING OF INDIAN DELEGATES IN CONVENTION IN OTTAWA

LABOUR CONDITIONS

REINSTATEMENT OP THREE EMPLOYEES AT FLORENCE COLLIERIES, SYDNEY, N.S.

On. the orders of the day:

Humphrey Mitchell (Minister of Labour)

Hon. HUMPHREY MITCHELL (Minister of Labour):

On Friday last the hon. member for Cape Breton South (Mr. Gillis) asked a question, at page 3463 of Hansard, with respect to the dismissal of three employees of the Florence collieries of Nova Scotia. At that time I indicated that the matter had been looked into by an arbitration board in conformity with the agreement between the mine workers' organization and the employers, and that they had recommended the reinstatement of the men. I am glad to say that through the agency of the officer of the Department of Labour in Fredericton the company has agreed to reinstate the men in question.

Topic:   LABOUR CONDITIONS
Subtopic:   REINSTATEMENT OP THREE EMPLOYEES AT FLORENCE COLLIERIES, SYDNEY, N.S.

June 6, 1944