July 12, 1946

BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE

On the orders of the day:

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Prime Minister):

I come now to the question of the affairs of the house, and of the ministers who will be acting in the absence of others, during the time that the Minister of Finance and I will be away from Ottawa. As the house is aware, when I have been absent on recent occasions, the Minister of Finance has been Acting Prime Minister. As Mr. Ilsley will not be here during my absence on this occasion, I have asked my colleague the Minister of Justice (Mr. St. Laurent) if he would take on the duties of Acting Prime Minister and he has agreed to do so. I assured him that if he were willing to assume the responsibility and the announcement were made to the house, he would see for himself, as he has now seen, how acceptable his decision would prove to be. In the absence of the Minister of Finance, my colleague the Minister of National Defence, Mr. Abbott, will be Acting Minister of Finance. The Minister of Justice, Mr. St. Laurent, will be Acting Secretary of State for External Affairs, as he has been on previous occasions, and my colleague, Mr. Mackenzie, the Minister of Veterans Affairs, will be acting president , of the council and will also continue to exercise, in the very efficient manner in which he has in the past, supervision over the organization of the business of the house, as house leader. In the absence of the Minister of

Health and Welfare (Mr. Claxton) the Minister of National Revenue (Mr. McCann) will be acting Minister of National Health and Welfare.

I should like to thank the house for the responsive manner in which it has received these several announcements.

Topic:   BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE
Subtopic:   ARRANGEMENTS IN CONNECTION WITH ABSENCE OF PRIME MINISTER AND MINISTER OF FINANCE

AMENDMENT TO OLD AGE PENSIONS ACT

On the orders of the day:

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Prime Minister):

On Friday last, July 5, the hon. member for Winnipeg North Centre (Mr. Knowles) referring to the statement which I had just made concerning legislation still to be brought down by the government, inquired what the intention of the government was regarding an amendment to the Old Age Pensions Act; and he made reference to some promise that my colleague, the Minister of National Health and Welfare (Mr. Claxton) had made. I said that I would look into the promise. The hon. member referred to a statement made on June 24 by the Minister of National Health and Welfare in which it was indicated that it was proposed, during the present session, to have legislation introduced. Obviously a bill will have to be introduced at some time to continue in force the changes made in old age pensions under the War Measures Act. It had been the intention of the government to introduce a bill at this session.

In view, however, of the great amount of business still to be concluded at this session of parliament, the government suggested that the National Emergency Transitional Powers Act, 1945, should be extended for an additional forty-five days after the opening of the next session in order to make it unnecessary to reenact a considerable volume of emergency legislation at this session. It is the intention of the government to avail itself of this amendment and to delay the introduction of the necessary old age pensions bill until next session.

Topic:   AMENDMENT TO OLD AGE PENSIONS ACT

On the orders of the day:

SC

Ernest George Hansell

Social Credit

Mr. E. G. HANSELL (Macleod):

May I direct a question to the Prime Minister? Will the house be given an opportunity to discuss external affairs before he leaves for the Paris peace conference?

Topic:   AMENDMENT TO OLD AGE PENSIONS ACT
Subtopic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS-OPPORTUNITY FOR DISCUSSION BEFORE PRIME MINISTER'S DEPARTURE FOR PARIS

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Secretary of State for External Affairs):

I say to my hon. friend that one of the regrets I have in being obliged to leave very soon is that there are some things that I should like to

Reparations

do that it will not be possible for me to do before leaving, and the discussion of external affairs matters is one of them. Before I left to go overseas some time ago I arranged that the estimates for the Department of External Affairs should be placed before the committee dealing with external affairs. I understand the committee has had very full information given to its members with respect to the several items that come under the head of estimates, and which may be made to include, if so desired, pretty much all the subjects that are likely to come up for debate on the estimates of the Department of External Affairs. I should have liked very much to have the privilege of saying some things on external affairs that I have been anxious to say for some little time, but I am leaving on Wednesday of next week and I do not think in the interval I should break into the proceedings of the house in its debate on the budget in order to take up external affairs. Moreover, I cannot imagine anyone who is in a better position to discuss external affairs than my colleague the Minister of Justice (Mr. St. Laurent), who will be acting minister in my absence.

Topic:   AMENDMENT TO OLD AGE PENSIONS ACT

Gordon Graydon

Mr. GRAYDON:

May I ask the Prime Minister, before he closes the door entirely to bringing the estimates of external affairs before the house, to reconsider the matter in the light of the present circumstances?

Topic:   AMENDMENT TO OLD AGE PENSIONS ACT

REPARATIONS

INTER-ALLIED AGENCY-CANADA'S REPRESENTATIVES -ALLOTMENTS TO CANADA

On the orders of the day:

Gordon Graydon

Mr. GORDON GRAYDON (Peel):

I

should like to direct a question to the Prime Minister in his capacity as Secretary of State for External Affairs. In view of the fact that news reports are reaching Canada relating to inter-allied reparations agency decisions, will the Prime Minister be good enough to inform the house who are Canada's representatives on this body, and what reparations from Germany in money or other property have been or are likely to be allocated to Canada?

Topic:   REPARATIONS
Subtopic:   INTER-ALLIED AGENCY-CANADA'S REPRESENTATIVES -ALLOTMENTS TO CANADA

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Secretary of State for External Affairs):

In answer to my hon. friend's question, of which he sent me a copy, I would say the Canadian government is represented on the inter-allied reparations agency in Brussels by the Hon. W. F. A. Turgeon, Canadian Ambassador to Belgium. The alternate Canadian delegate is Colonel G. W. McPherson, of the custodian's office, Department of the Secretary

of State, at present serving as custodian representative on the Canadian military mission to Germany.

According to the final act of the Paris conference on reparations, to which the Canadian government is a signatory, Canada has been allocated 3-5 per cent of German assets under category A and 1-5 per cent of German assets under category B of the Paris conference on reparations. Category B assets include German industrial and other capital equipment removed from Germany and merchant ships and inland water transport. Category A assets include all forms of German reparations except those under category B. German external assets held in custody by the member governments and in neutral countries are assets of this category.

The Canadian custodian holds German assets to the extent of $6,485,204.26. Under the terms of the Paris agreement the Canadian government is authorized to hold or dispose of these assets, which are to be charged by the inter-allied reparations agency against the Canadian reparation account over a five year period.

From time to time lists of industrial equipment available for distribution as reparation to the member governments through interallied reparations agency are communicated to the Canadian government. Canada's share of assets of this kind is 1-5 per cent of the total available.

The inter-allied reparations agency has allocated most of the ex-German shipping available. Canada has been assigned 1-42 per cent of the tonnage amounting to some 10,797 tons made up of the ships Huas Caran, Tiefland, and Weserwehr.

Topic:   REPARATIONS
Subtopic:   INTER-ALLIED AGENCY-CANADA'S REPRESENTATIVES -ALLOTMENTS TO CANADA

Gordon Graydon

Mr. GRAYDON:

May I ask the Prime Minister a supplementary question? How will the reparations which come to Canada, and to which the Prime Minister has referred, be distributed? What channels will be used for that purpose?

Topic:   REPARATIONS
Subtopic:   INTER-ALLIED AGENCY-CANADA'S REPRESENTATIVES -ALLOTMENTS TO CANADA

Mr. MACKENZIE KING:

May I say to my hon. friend I am unable to answer him offhand but I shall seek to give him the answer in due course.

Topic:   REPARATIONS