June 30, 1948

INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS

INQUIRY AS TO DATE OF PROCLAMATION OF ACT

On the orders of the day:

CCF

Angus MacInnis

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. ANGUS MacINNIS (Vancouver East):

Mr. Speaker, I should like to put a question to the Minister of Labour. Provision is made in Bill No. 195, which provides for the investigation, conciliation and settlement of industrial disputes, that the act shall come into effect by proclamation. Can the minister state when the act will be proclaimed? It will receive royal assent today.

Topic:   INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS
Subtopic:   INQUIRY AS TO DATE OF PROCLAMATION OF ACT

Humphrey Mitchell (Minister of Labour)

Hon. HUMPHREY MITCHELL (Minister of Labour):

I could, I suppose, give the

stock answer that that is a matter of government policy which will be announced in due course. But as a matter of fact I was discussing this very question this morning and my hon. friend can rest assured that we shall move with expedition to comply with all the necessary formalities. Of course the old board has to function until the new board is appointed, but we shall proceed as quickly as possible.

Topic:   INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS
Subtopic:   INQUIRY AS TO DATE OF PROCLAMATION OF ACT

REPORTS AND PAPERS

REQUEST FOR ANNUAL REPORTS OF CERTAIN DEPARTMENTS

On the orders of the day: Mr. HOWARD C. GREEN (Vancouver South): Mr. Speaker, several returns and reports which should have been tabled during the session have not yet been brought down. I refer particularly to the annual report of the Department of Mines and Resources. The last report tabled was for the fiscal year ended March 31, 1946. I think an arrangement should be .made to table the report for the year ended March 31, 1947, before the house prorogues. Furthermore, I believe no report has been tabled from the Department of Reconstruction and Supply for over two years. I am informed that its last report was for Inquiries of the Ministry the year 1944-45. Could these reports be tabled, or otherwise made available to members? Hon. J. A. MaeKINNON (Minister of Mines and Resources): An inquiry was made before, during the absence I think of the hon. member for Vancouver South (Mr. Green), for the report of my department, and the explanation was given that it is in the hands of the printers. It is unfortunate that it has not been made available earlier, but every effort will be made in future years to table the report as early as possible in the session.

Howard Charles Green

Mr. GREEN:

Cannot some arrangements be made to distribute the report to the members after it has been printed?

Mr. MacKINN'ON: I shall see that the report is mailed to each member of the house.

Topic:   REPORTS AND PAPERS
Subtopic:   REQUEST FOR ANNUAL REPORTS OF CERTAIN DEPARTMENTS

Howard Charles Green

Mr. GREEN:

What about the report of the Department of Reconstruction and Supply?

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Prime Minister)1: I regret I am not able to give my hon. friend a definite answer, but I shall speak to the Minister of Trade and Commerce about the report of the Department of Reconstruction and Supply as soon as I see him. I will meanwhile give the same undertaking, should this be found to be necessary, as has just been given by my colleague with respect to having the report sent to the members as soon as possible after prorogation.

Topic:   REPORTS AND PAPERS
Subtopic:   REQUEST FOR ANNUAL REPORTS OF CERTAIN DEPARTMENTS

BERLIN BLOCKADE

INQUIRY AS TO FLYING IN SUPPLIES

On the orders of the day: Mr. JOHN T. HACKETT (Stanstead) : Mr. Speaker, I should like to ask the Prime Minister whether any request has come from the government of the United Kingdom for assistance in flying in supplies to overcome the Berlin blockade?

William Lyon Mackenzie King (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council)

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Prime Minister):

I do not think it is advisable for me to attempt to answer that question at the moment. I would have to consult with other departments of the government, and I should not like to make a statement with regard to a matter so far-reaching as to the inferences that might be drawn from any reply without first having the opportunity to consult with my colleagues.

Topic:   BERLIN BLOCKADE
Subtopic:   INQUIRY AS TO FLYING IN SUPPLIES

John Thomas Hackett

Mr. HACKETT:

Will a reply be made later in the day?

Topic:   BERLIN BLOCKADE
Subtopic:   INQUIRY AS TO FLYING IN SUPPLIES

William Lyon Mackenzie King (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council)

Mr. MACKENZIE KING:

That will

depend entirely upon what it seems most advisable to do, all the circumstances considered.

Topic:   BERLIN BLOCKADE
Subtopic:   INQUIRY AS TO FLYING IN SUPPLIES

DOMINION DAY

INQUIRY AS TO USE OF DESIGNATION "INDEPENDENCE OF CANADA DAY*' On the orders of the day:

IND

Antoine-Philéas Côté

Independent Liberal

Mr. A. PHILEAS COTE (Matapedia-Matane):

Mr. Speaker, I should like to direct a question to the Prime Minister of which I did not give him notice because I thought we would sit tomorrow. I would ask whether tomorrow is to .be called Dominion day, or Independence of Canada day, as it has been named first in the United States press, and secondly in the Canadian press. Apparently an item was given out by the information service.

Topic:   DOMINION DAY

William Lyon Mackenzie King (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council)

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Prime Minister):

I think in the circumstances it would perhaps be only proper to allow every member to call it by whatever name he prefers.

Topic:   DOMINION DAY