April 5, 1949

Gordon Graydon

Mr. Graydon:

You cannot make a political speech on a question of privilege. Take it to the hustings; that is where it belongs.

J. G. Léopold Langlois

Mr. Langlois:

I am merely giving the house the source of my information. I have just ended the quotation, and what I said-

Topic:   REFERENCE TO REMARKS IN DEBATE ON APRIL 4

George Alexander Drew (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. Drew:

Mr. Speaker-

Topic:   REFERENCE TO REMARKS IN DEBATE ON APRIL 4

James Horace King (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. Speaker:

Order. The hon. member for Gaspe has risen on a question of privilege. I would ask him to state his question of privilege as briefly as possible.

J. G. Léopold Langlois

Mr. Langlois:

Having ended the quotation, I now wish to repeat what I said last night. It was as follows:

This was at the time when you-

Referring to the leader of the opposition (Mr. Drew).

-claimed that Hitler was a friend of ours.

Alan Cockeram

Mr. Cockeram:

That is not what you said last night.

J. G. Léopold Langlois

Mr. Langlois:

I ought to know; and I therefore ask you, Mr. Speaker, to have the necessary correction made in both the English and the French text.

Topic:   REFERENCE TO REMARKS IN DEBATE ON APRIL 4

George Alexander Drew (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. Drew:

Mr. Speaker, the correction that has just been made was not related, of course,-

Some hon. Members:

Order.

Topic:   REFERENCE TO REMARKS IN DEBATE ON APRIL 4

James Horace King (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. Speaker:

Order. The leader of the opposition knows that he should rise only on a point of order or a question of privilege.

Topic:   REFERENCE TO REMARKS IN DEBATE ON APRIL 4

George Alexander Drew (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. Drew:

I am rising on a question of privilege. What has just been said by the hon. member in the last part of his remarks deals with the question of privilege. What the hon. member attempted to read into the record was unrelated to that, and I simply want to say that the slander that he has repeated is one that the communists have been using in Ontario.

J. G. Léopold Langlois

Mr. Langlois:

You are invited to come and find out for yourself.

BRITISH COLUMBIA APPLES

COLD STORAGE

CCF

Owen Lewis Jones

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. O. L. Jones (Yale):

On a question of privilege, Mr. Speaker, I should like to direct the attention of the house to a few samples of Okanagan Delicious apples, which have been placed on the desks of the ministers. We feel that in the Okanagan we produce the best apples in the world, and we are placing them before the ministers partly as a tribute to the policy of this government in providing cold storage subsidies in our tree fruit area. Provision of these cold storage facilities has made it possible to have these apples in such fine condition in April; for if you examine them I believe you will find them to be first-class, both as to colour and as to quality.

Topic:   BRITISH COLUMBIA APPLES
Subtopic:   COLD STORAGE
Sub-subtopic:   SUBSIDIES

Edmund Davie Fulton

Mr. E. D. Fulton (Kamloops):

Speaking on the same point of privilege, as a co-donor of the apples, which were sent down through the courtesy of Mr. A. K. Loyd, president of British Columbia Tree Fruits Limited, I and my colleagues from British Columbia only regret that there were not sufficient to permit each hon. member to have one. Since there were not enough for that, we placed them on the desks of the cabinet and leaders of the various parties. One was also placed on your chair, Mr. Speaker, and I am glad to note that you have put it in a place of safekeeping. I am sure when the hon. members who have been fortunate enough to receive these apples eat them, they will agree with us that the controversy as to where the finest apples in the world come from has been satisfactorily concluded.

Topic:   BRITISH COLUMBIA APPLES
Subtopic:   COLD STORAGE
Sub-subtopic:   SUBSIDIES

George Clyde Nowlan

Mr. George C. Nowlan (Digby-Annapolis-Kings):

Mr. Speaker, on a question of privilege.

Topic:   BRITISH COLUMBIA APPLES
Subtopic:   COLD STORAGE
Sub-subtopic:   SUBSIDIES

James Horace King (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. Speaker: