June 6, 1951

George Alexander Cruickshank

Mr. Cruickshank:

I should like a direct

answer. Rather than having it all under one roof and subject to similar fires, will consideration be given to spreading it throughout the immense west in several buildings?

Topic:   OTTAWA ORDNANCE DEPOT
Subtopic:   DAMAGE TO DEFENCE
Sub-subtopic:   QUESTION AS TO INVESTIGATION

Brooke Claxton (Minister of National Defence)

Mr. Claxion:

That of course has been

given consideration from the point of view of economy and fire prevention, and consideration will continue to be given to that question.

Topic:   OTTAWA ORDNANCE DEPOT
Subtopic:   DAMAGE TO DEFENCE
Sub-subtopic:   QUESTION AS TO INVESTIGATION

Gordon Graydon

Mr. Graydon:

Too much concentration

would be dangerous, would it not?

Topic:   OTTAWA ORDNANCE DEPOT
Subtopic:   DAMAGE TO DEFENCE
Sub-subtopic:   QUESTION AS TO INVESTIGATION

MILITARY ESTABLISHMENT AT LONDON, ONTARIO

On the orders of the day:

Harry Oliver White

Mr. H. O. While (Middlesex Easl):

Yesterday I directed a question to the parliamentary assistant to the Minister of National

Defence. He took it as notice and was going to reply later. Can the minister answer the question now?

Topic:   MILITARY ESTABLISHMENT AT LONDON, ONTARIO

Brooke Claxton (Minister of National Defence)

Hon. Brooke Claxion (Minisier of Nalional Defence):

I have seen the question, but

have not got the answer yet.

Topic:   MILITARY ESTABLISHMENT AT LONDON, ONTARIO

DECENNIAL CENSUS

REFERENCE TO QUESTION AS TO ORIGIN ON POPULATION FORM

On the orders of the day:

James MacKerras Macdonnell

Mr. J. M. Macdonnell (Greenwood):

I should like to direct a question to the Minister of Trade and Commerce. Does the minister think the word "English" includes the word "Scottish"? The reason for my question is that when I came to fill out the census questionnaire I found under question 17 the heading "origin", and the various origins set out are "English, French, Irish, Jewish, etc." I should like to ask you, Mr. Speaker, particularly, and many others in this house if they do not think that some action should be taken to correct this. I hope the minister will be able to give me a more satisfactory answer than I think he will.

Topic:   DECENNIAL CENSUS
Subtopic:   REFERENCE TO QUESTION AS TO ORIGIN ON POPULATION FORM

Clarence Decatur Howe (Minister of Defence Production; Minister of Trade and Commerce)

Right Hon. C. D. Howe (Minisier of Trade and Commerce):

Mr. Speaker-

Topic:   DECENNIAL CENSUS
Subtopic:   REFERENCE TO QUESTION AS TO ORIGIN ON POPULATION FORM

Elie Beauregard (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. Speaker:

Order. I believe the hon. member for Vancouver East wishes to ask a question on the same subject.

Topic:   DECENNIAL CENSUS
Subtopic:   REFERENCE TO QUESTION AS TO ORIGIN ON POPULATION FORM

Donald MacInnis

Mr. Maclnnis:

If the Minister of Trade and Commerce will allow me, I wish to associate myself with the remarks of the hon. member for Greenwood in objecting to being included in the et ceteras.

Topic:   DECENNIAL CENSUS
Subtopic:   REFERENCE TO QUESTION AS TO ORIGIN ON POPULATION FORM

Mr. Howe:

I regret that this strange situation was just called to my attention a few moments ago. I shall be glad to obtain an explanation from my officials. As they are very competent officials, I am sure there is a good explanation, but at the moment I am not aware of what it is.

Topic:   DECENNIAL CENSUS
Subtopic:   REFERENCE TO QUESTION AS TO ORIGIN ON POPULATION FORM

James MacKerras Macdonnell

Mr. Macdonnell (Greenwood):

Will the

minister tell his officials I put myself down as Scottish?

Topic:   DECENNIAL CENSUS
Subtopic:   REFERENCE TO QUESTION AS TO ORIGIN ON POPULATION FORM

Leslie Alexander Mutch (Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Veterans Affairs)

Mr. Mutch:

Some choice between "English" and "et cetera".

Topic:   DECENNIAL CENSUS