June 21, 1951

Paul Joseph James Martin (Minister of National Health and Welfare)

Mr. Marlin:

Seventy thousand copies in

English and 1,500 copies in French have been distributed to the provinces, on request. Twenty-six thousand copies in French, which had been distributed but in which there was later found to be a printing error, are being recalled. Repeat orders have been received from some provinces.

The printing order, against which only partial delivery has been made, was for

Questions

100,000 copies in English and 35,000 copies in French. The expected total cost is approximately $2,000.

This folder was prepared by the dental health division to meet the request of provincial health educators for dental health material designed specifically for junior elementary school children.

During preparation, draft texts and layout were sent to the Canadian Dental Association for evaluation and criticism. Additional drafts were sent to the provincial health educators with the request that evaluation reports as to accuracy and suitability be secured from provincial directors of dental divisions, from public health departments of provincial dental associations, from parent-teacher groups, public health officials, etc. In response 33 reports were obtained; there was no criticism of the technical content-in fact the folder aroused very favourable comment. There was complete agreement on the part of dental bodies consulted that the pamphlet was factual and technically correct.

Topic:   HEALTH AND WELFARE
Subtopic:   PUBLICATION
Sub-subtopic:   "GOOD TEETH"

HEALTH GRANTS

NEWFOUNDLAND

Chesley William Carter

Mr. Carter:

What assistance, if any, has been granted under the national health grants program toward the development of health services in outlying areas of Newfoundland?

Topic:   HEALTH GRANTS
Subtopic:   NEWFOUNDLAND

Paul Joseph James Martin (Minister of National Health and Welfare)

Mr. Martin:

The sum of $200,000 has been made available to the province of Newfoundland for the following purposes: (a) assistance in developing the south coast health services by the employment of additional medical staff; (b) additional staff and equipment for the Bonne Bay cottage hospital; (c) to facilitate transportation within the divisional health inspection service which has been inaugurated for the west coast, the purchase of equipment such as a boat and snowmobiles, and support toward the provision of air service.

Topic:   HEALTH GRANTS
Subtopic:   NEWFOUNDLAND

MING SUNG INDUSTRIAL COMPANY

INQUIRY AS TO SHIPS IN OPERATION BETWEEN HONG KONG AND MACAO SEIZURES BY

COMMUNISTS On the orders of the day:

George Randolph Pearkes

Mr. G. R. Pearkes (Nanaimo):

I should like to direct a question to the Minister of Transport, notice of which I sent him this morning. Which of the vessels mentioned in the return tabled by the minister yesterday are still operating between Hong Kong and Macao, and which are the two ships reported to have been seized by the communists on the Yangtze river?

Topic:   MING SUNG INDUSTRIAL COMPANY
Subtopic:   INQUIRY AS TO SHIPS IN OPERATION BETWEEN HONG KONG AND MACAO SEIZURES BY

Lionel Chevrier (Minister of Transport)

Hon. Lionel Chevrier (Minister of Transport):

The hon. gentleman telephoned my office a short while ago and indicated that

he was going to ask this question, and I received notice of it about five minutes ago. I will give him such information as I have at the moment, and if there is some I cannot give him, I shall be glad to obtain it later.

The question is: Which of the vessels mentioned in the return tabled yesterday are still operating between Hong Kong and Macao? In the return which I tabled yesterday seven vessels were mentioned, and the return indicated that those vessels operating between the ports of Hong Kong and Macao had been exempted from the operation of sections 113 and 114 of the Canada Shipping Act. My understanding is that five of them are operating on that run and that two of them are not, although I should like to verify that. In the few minutes at my disposal after I received notice of the question, I was unable to verify it, but I understand that is the position.

The second part of his question was: Which are the two ships reported to have been seized by the communists? That I am unable to say, but I am informed that the ships to which my hon. friend has reference have never been registered under the Canadian flag, and neither is there any indication or evidence of Canadian registry here.

George Randolph Pearkes

Mr. Pearkes:

May I address a supplementary question to the minister? Can he name the five ships which are now operating?

Topic:   MING SUNG INDUSTRIAL COMPANY

Lionel Chevrier (Minister of Transport)

Mr. Chevrier:

I think I can, but I would not attempt to do it now.

George Randolph Pearkes

Mr. Pearkes:

The minister will give me that information later?

Topic:   MING SUNG INDUSTRIAL COMPANY

Lionel Chevrier (Minister of Transport)

Mr. Chevrier:

Yes. As soon as I can get the information, I will give it to the house.

Topic:   MING SUNG INDUSTRIAL COMPANY

Lionel Chevrier (Minister of Transport)

Hon. Lionel Chevrier (Minister of Transport):

Mr. Speaker, I have now the information which was requested by the hon. member for Nanaimo, and with the consent of the house I should like to put it on record. The question was: Which of the vessels mentioned in the return tabled on June 20 are still operating between Hong Kong and Macao, and which are the two ships reported to have been seized by the communists on the Yangtze river?

I have been informed that two vessels, the Lung Men and the Chien Men, are operating between Hong Kong and Macao; two vessels, the Hu Men and Yu Men, are laid up at Hong Kong and have been laid up there for the past ten days. I am further informed that three vessels, the Shih Men, the Chi Men and the Yen Men, are operating between Hong Kong and Canton but not on a regular service. And I am informed that two further

vessels, the Kuei Men and the Ching Men, are, it is believed, those that were seized, and were never placed under Canadian registry.

George Randolph Pearkes

Mr. Pearlces:

The last two were the vessels referred to by the Minister of Trade and Commerce (Mr. Howe) as operating up the Yangtze, then?

Topic:   MING SUNG INDUSTRIAL COMPANY

Lionel Chevrier (Minister of Transport)

Mr. Chevrier:

I could not say. I was not here when the Minister of Trade and Commerce made his statement. The question put was as to which vessels had been seized by the communists on the Yangtze river, and I am not able to say with any assurance. I am informed that the two last named are the ones, but I must point out that they were never placed under Canadian registry.

George Randolph Pearkes

Mr. Pearkes:

On June 14, at page 4125 of Hansard, the Minister of Trade and Commerce said:

There are five ships; two others have been seized by the communists.

That is what I am asking. Apparently the five should have been seven, trading out of Hong Kong.

Topic:   MING SUNG INDUSTRIAL COMPANY

George Alexander Drew (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. Drew:

I should like to ask a supplementary question, because it is desirable that there be accuracy of terms so that we may understand the situation exactly. When the minister speaks of the two ships he understands are in the Yangtze, he has quite clearly stated he has not full information. He speaks of them as having been seized by the communists. Is it not correct to say that the situation is quite the contrary, that those ships were being operated by the Ming Sung company in the communist part of China and that they are simply still being operated by the same company, with its head office at Chungking in the communist area?

Topic:   MING SUNG INDUSTRIAL COMPANY

Lionel Chevrier (Minister of Transport)

Mr. Chevrier:

Is the leader of the opposition making a speech, or does he want some information? I was answering a question asked by the hon. member for Nanaimo, who put it in these terms: Which are the two ships reported to have been seized by the communists in the Yangtze river? My reply was that I was not sure of the position, but I had been informed that those two ships were the last two I mentioned a moment ago, and that they were never under Canadian registry. I cannot answer the question in any clearer or more definite manner than that.

June 21, 1951