November 19, 1951

Alphonse Fournier (Minister of Public Works; Leader of the Government in the House of Commons; Liberal Party House Leader)

Mr. Fournier (Hull):

I am trying to give you what this return shows, and it was asked for by a member of the opposition. We handed over to the federal district commission money to landscape the property, and according to the return we have spent $56,978.83 for that. You have the whole expenditure made on this property in this return.

An hon. Member:

He never read it.

Mr. Fournier (Hull):

He did not read it. He makes speeches without knowing what he is talking about. A contract was let for the fence surrounding the property, and I find that we asked for tenders with respect to it.

Donald Methuen Fleming

Mr. Fleming:

At last a tender!

Mr. Fournier (Hull):

Do you want to know the figures? One firm, Ottawa Iron Works, made a bid of $11,976; and a second firm, Modern Forge Registered, made a tender of $5,862.90. Just imagine two firms experienced in this work, and one of them making a tender of $11,976 and the other a tender of $5,862.90.

An hon. Member:

Who got it?

Mr. Fournier (Hull):

Double the amount. Yet we have people trying to discuss costs of construction when even those who undertake such works can vary in their prices by 100 per cent.

Donald Methuen Fleming

Mr. Fleming:

Why didn't you call for tenders on the other jobs?

Mr. Fournier (Hull):

You would not have even made a bid on it unless you know more than these very good architects from Toronto. I do not decide these things and I would not take your advice on construction. I would rather go to my technical advisers. When you speak of that residence it leaves me quite indifferent, and I will tell you why. I have been here twenty-two years, and I was as happy as a lark when I met all the members of the opposition at a reception in that new home and each and every one of them congratulated me on the nice job that had been

The Address-Hon. A. Fournier done. They would say that to me on that occasion at 24 Sussex street, but when they stand up here they have so few things that can be found fault with so far as the government is concerned that they pick on this matter. You can keep talking about the Prime Minister's residence, but you are perhaps the only one who is not proud that our Prime Minister has a residence.

Ellen Louks Fairclough

Mrs. Fairclough:

Oh, nonsense.

Mr. Fournier (Hull):

No, I don't use the same language as the hon. member to whom I have been referring. I know you would not and I do not myself.

Ellen Louks Fairclough

Mrs. Fairclough:

I recognize nonsense when I hear it.

An. hon. Member: Another expert.

Mr. Fournier (Hull):

Really you have me there, madam, only that is a matter of opinion and I do not agree with yours. To come back to the residence, it will remain the Prime Minister's residence for years to come, and it will be maintained in a good state of repair.

Donald Methuen Fleming

Mr. Fleming:

Will the minister tell us something now about the veterans' houses that were to have been built but were not built?

Mr. Fournier (Hull):

I will tell you something about the repairs to the White House that have cost the United States government $6 million to date, and nobody criticizes it.

Donald Methuen Fleming

Mr. Fleming:

Would the minister discuss veterans' houses?

Some hon. Members:

Sit down.

Mr. Fournier (Hull):

Mr. Speaker, I will tell the hon. member that I will not try to do as he does; I will not try to discuss things that I do not know much about.

Donald Methuen Fleming

Mr. Fleming:

That does not do the minister justice.

John Horace Dickey

Mr. Dickey:

It does the hon. member more than justice.

November 19, 1951