November 27, 1952

Arza Clair Casselman (Chief Opposition Whip; Whip of the Progressive Conservative Party)

Mr. Casselman:

Do it tomorrow, and you will have more time.

Topic:   SPEECH FROM THE THRONE
Subtopic:   CONTINUATION OF DEBATE ON ADDRESS IN REPLY
CCF

Stanley Howard Knowles (Whip of the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation)

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. Knowles:

Is that how you beat the Liberal in St. Mary?

Topic:   SPEECH FROM THE THRONE
Subtopic:   CONTINUATION OF DEBATE ON ADDRESS IN REPLY

Hector Dupuis

Mr. Dupuis:

I did not beat any Liberal in St. Mary. I was a Liberal myself, and I thought I would be a better representative than my opponent. Some other people thought the same way, and I am here.

In Canada we can depend on the honesty of our public servants, and that of this Liberal government which, during its long term of office, has never been suspected of corruption of any sort. Eisenhower has to his credit a life entirely devoted and heroically consecrated to his country. I wonder if we could find a person with such merit in the ranks of the opposition, so they might feel that they have a chance to take office after the next appeal to the people.

Other factors, such as controversies in connection with the settlement of labour questions, and the part taken by the United States in international affairs, have engaged the attention of our neighbours, and there is no doubt that these factors influenced the verdict of the electors in that country. In Canada the achievement of the Liberal party in all spheres of our national economy is the assurance of the confidence it will receive from the Canadian people. Under the direction of its most worthy chief, Right Hon. Louis St. Laurent, the Liberal party can face the coming appeal to the people with serenity.

Topic:   SPEECH FROM THE THRONE
Subtopic:   CONTINUATION OF DEBATE ON ADDRESS IN REPLY

Donald Methuen Fleming

Mr. Fleming:

When is it coming?

Topic:   SPEECH FROM THE THRONE
Subtopic:   CONTINUATION OF DEBATE ON ADDRESS IN REPLY

Hector Dupuis

Mr. Dupuis:

Well, I think it will be too soon for the hon. member for Eglinton.

Topic:   SPEECH FROM THE THRONE
Subtopic:   CONTINUATION OF DEBATE ON ADDRESS IN REPLY

Donald Methuen Fleming

Mr. Fleming:

Bring it on.

Topic:   SPEECH FROM THE THRONE
Subtopic:   CONTINUATION OF DEBATE ON ADDRESS IN REPLY

Hector Dupuis

Mr. Dupuis:

Is it ten o'clock, Mr. Speaker?

On motion of Mr. Dupuis the debate was adjourned.

Topic:   SPEECH FROM THE THRONE
Subtopic:   CONTINUATION OF DEBATE ON ADDRESS IN REPLY

At ten o'clock the house adjourned, without question put, pursuant to standing order.

Friday, November 28, 1952