February 15, 1961

PRIVILEGE

MR. DORION REFERENCE TO REMARKS IN DEBATE ON FEBRUARY 9

Noël Dorion (Secretary of State of Canada)

Hon. Noel Dorion (Secretary of State):

Mr. Speaker, I rise on a question of privilege. It has been brought to my attention that on Thursday night last the hon. member for Bonavista-Twillingate made certain remarks pertaining to a declaration which I am alleged to have made in the course of a meeting held at Papineauville in Quebec last October. These remarks appear in Hansard beginning at page 1909. The hon. member attributed to me the following words:

Prime Minister Diefenbaker had promptly closed the door on this immigration-

At this point the hon. member added his own comment-

Subtopic:   MR. DORION REFERENCE TO REMARKS IN DEBATE ON FEBRUARY 9

Daniel Roland Michener (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

Order. Before the hon. member proceeds further would he indicate on what date the remarks which he now attempts to raise as a matter of privilege were made? Was it Thursday?

Subtopic:   MR. DORION REFERENCE TO REMARKS IN DEBATE ON FEBRUARY 9

Noël Dorion (Secretary of State of Canada)

Mr. Dorion:

It was last Thursday, but this is the first opportunity I have had to correct this statement because I was absent from the house.

Subtopic:   MR. DORION REFERENCE TO REMARKS IN DEBATE ON FEBRUARY 9

Daniel Roland Michener (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

It is not customary to permit matters of privilege to be raised on statements made in the house in full session unless the exception is taken at the time the statement is made. Yesterday I prevented an hon. member from referring back even one day. Unless there is a grave matter for correction, it would seem to me to be contrary to our practice to go back to matters occurring, in this case, almost a week ago. If any hon. member disagrees with my interpretation of the rules I shall be glad to hear him, but that is my view.

Subtopic:   MR. DORION REFERENCE TO REMARKS IN DEBATE ON FEBRUARY 9

Howard Charles Green (Secretary of State for External Affairs)

Hon. Howard C. Green (Secretary of Slate for External Affairs):

Mr. Speaker, the hon. member was not in the house at the time of the attack made by the hon. member for Bonavista-Twillingate. Now the hon. member is in the house for the first time. I submit that he is entitled to rise on a question of privilege and deal with these personal charges which were made against him.

John Whitney Pickersgill

Hon. J. W. Pickersgill (Bonavista-Twillingate):

Mr. Speaker, since the Secretary of State for External Affairs has chosen to use that language, I may say that no personal attacks whatever were made. I read extracts from the newspapers, sir.

Subtopic:   MR. DORION REFERENCE TO REMARKS IN DEBATE ON FEBRUARY 9

Gordon Minto Churchill (Minister of Veterans Affairs; Leader of the Government in the House of Commons; Progressive Conservative Party House Leader)

Hon. Gordon Churchill (Minister of Veterans Affairs):

Mr. Speaker, I was present on the occasion when the hon. member for Bonavista-Twillingate spoke. I considered the matter of such grave consequence that I rose to a point of order to draw to the hon. member's attention the denial which the Secretary of State had made in November of these various remarks. I believe this is the first occasion the Secretary of State has had to explain his position, and I think he should be permitted to proceed.

Subtopic:   MR. DORION REFERENCE TO REMARKS IN DEBATE ON FEBRUARY 9

Lester Bowles Pearson (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. Pearson:

Why is it the first occasion?

Subtopic:   MR. DORION REFERENCE TO REMARKS IN DEBATE ON FEBRUARY 9

Daniel Roland Michener (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

If there is a serious question of privilege and this is the first opportunity that has arisen on which it could be raised, I think perhaps I should accept the hon. member's statement to that effect, although it seems to me that anything of consequence would certainly have come to his attention within the week. Would the hon. member give me the page reference?

Subtopic:   MR. DORION REFERENCE TO REMARKS IN DEBATE ON FEBRUARY 9

Noël Dorion (Secretary of State of Canada)

Mr. Dorion:

Page 1909, Mr. Speaker.

Subtopic:   MR. DORION REFERENCE TO REMARKS IN DEBATE ON FEBRUARY 9

Daniel Roland Michener (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

Would the hon. member state as succinctly as he can the matters complained of?

Subtopic:   MR. DORION REFERENCE TO REMARKS IN DEBATE ON FEBRUARY 9

Noël Dorion (Secretary of State of Canada)

Mr. Dorion:

It is this very serious matter, Mr. Speaker. I believe I am perfectly right in re-establishing the facts. The hon. member attributed to me the following words:

Prime Minister Diefenbaker had promptly closed the door on this immigration-

And here the hon. member added his own comment:

-that is the English immigration-

The hon. gentleman went on to attribute to me the following words:

-and was trying to offset the Liberal angliciza-tion by fostering immigration from Italy.

This is absolutely and completely false.

Azellus Denis

Mr. Denis:

I was there when he said it. (Translation):

Subtopic:   MR. DORION REFERENCE TO REMARKS IN DEBATE ON FEBRUARY 9

Noël Dorion (Secretary of State of Canada)

Mr. Dorion:

I believe the hon. member must take my word for it, and I have all the necessary evidence to prove the truth of my statement.

Question of Privilege

(Text):

This is absolutely and completely false. Never, at any time, did I say such a thing, and the comments of the hon. member are consequently unfounded.

As for two other statements attributed to me, I would point out that on November 18, 1960 I gave an explanation to this house. This appears at pages 11, 12 and following of Hansard. Despite this, the hon. member for Bonavista-Twillingate has ignored the well-established practice of this house that in such circumstances the member's declaration must be accepted.

With reference to Italian immigration, I did not myself approach that problem; I only answered an accusation brought up by a Liberal attending the meeting. Then I stated that this government stands for immigration on a selective basis taking into account the needs of employment and manpower. I can assure the house that my remarks were in no way designed to raise a question of prejudice toward either of the races of Canada. As a matter of fact, I then explicitly indicated that this explanation was not given in any spirit of prejudice.

(Translation):

Azellus Denis

Mr. Azellus Denis (Si. Denis):

I must say, Mr. Speaker, that those words were spoken in a public debate which I attended in Pap-ineauville-

Some hon. Members:

Order.

Azellus Denis

Mr. Denis:

-and the words read by the hon. member for Bonavista-Twillingate (Mr. Pickersgill) in the newspaper were the very same that were spoken at that meeting by the Secretary of State.

Subtopic:   MR. DORION REFERENCE TO REMARKS IN DEBATE ON FEBRUARY 9

Noël Dorion (Secretary of State of Canada)

Mr. Dorion:

This is absolutely false.

(Text): '