February 20, 1961

Daniel Roland Michener (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

Order. The hon. member is not on a point of order. If the hon. member's question relates to whether a statement made by the Minister of National Revenue was a declaration of government policy, I suppose it could be asked.

Topic:   INCOME TAX
Subtopic:   REPORTED STATEMENT BY MINISTER OF NATIONAL REVENUE

George Clyde Nowlan (Minister of National Revenue)

Hon. George C. Nowlan (Minister of National Revenue):

Mr. Speaker, perhaps I had better answer this question, since I am the one to whom reference is made. In the first place, there could be no budget leak in view of the fact that due to the opposition we have not yet passed the budget that was brought down in December. Therefore it would be rather difficult to deal with future budgets.

What I said was this. I have the text in front of me, and this was a prepared text:

I think in the present state of international unrest and uncertainty one would not expect the government to substantially cut its expenditures- at this time.

I do not think that is a statement of budget policy. I repeat what I said:

I was not talking about income tax.

-at this time.

It is true that afterwards I was asked by someone in an off the cuff reference as to the chances of increased taxes. I said that in view of the unrest of the day, the Congo situation and all the uncertainties with which the government was confronted, one might also assume that increases were almost as likely as decreases. Again, if that is a statement of government policy which, of course, it is not, then goodness help the government that makes such a statement of policy.

Topic:   INCOME TAX
Subtopic:   REPORTED STATEMENT BY MINISTER OF NATIONAL REVENUE

John Whitney Pickersgill

Mr. Pickersgill:

Just loose talk.

Topic:   INCOME TAX
Subtopic:   REPORTED STATEMENT BY MINISTER OF NATIONAL REVENUE

UNITED NATIONS

INQUIRY AS TO SUPPORT FOR GHANA

On the orders of the day:

CCF

Hazen Robert Argue

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. Hazen Argue (Assiniboia):

Mr. Speaker, I would like to direct a question to the Acting Secretary of State for External Affairs. In view of the report from the United Nations secretary general's representative in the Congo to the effect that at least seven political prisoners have been deported to Mr. Kalonji's secessionist mining state and that three are rumoured to have been killed, all this indicating once again that the present United Nations command in the Congo has failed in its mission of bringing peace to that troubled land, will the government back the plan of the president of our sister commonwealth nation of Ghana, Mr. Nkrumah, that a new all-African United Nations command take over the Congo, disarm Congolese troups, free political prisoners and convene parliament?

Topic:   UNITED NATIONS
Subtopic:   INQUIRY AS TO SUPPORT FOR GHANA
Sub-subtopic:   PROPOSALS

Edmund Davie Fulton (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada)

Hon. E. D. Fulton (Acting Secretary of State for External Affairs):

I thank the hon. gentleman for having given me notice of this question, but in the circumstances I am sure he will appreciate that without in any way accepting his preamble to the question as a statement of fact, the only proper course would be to bring this to the attention of the Secretary of State for External Affairs and ask him to make a statement or reply on his return.

Topic:   UNITED NATIONS
Subtopic:   INQUIRY AS TO SUPPORT FOR GHANA
Sub-subtopic:   PROPOSALS

CONSIDERATION AT SPECIAL OR GENERAL

ASSEMBLY MEETING

On the orders of the day:

CCF

Harold Edward Winch

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. Harold E. Winch (Vancouver East):

In

the absence of the Secretary of State for External Affairs I should like to direct a question to his parliamentary assistant, or to his deputy at the United Nations. Is any consideration being given to the report that a special meeting of the United Nations may be called to deal with the Congo situation and, if not, does the hon. gentleman anticipate that at the reconvened general meeting, which will take place on March 7, the Congo situation will be the first issue to be considered?

Topic:   CONSIDERATION AT SPECIAL OR GENERAL
Subtopic:   ASSEMBLY MEETING

Wallace Bickford (Wally) Nesbitt (Parliamentary Secretary to the Secretary of State for External Affairs)

Mr. W. B. Nesbilt (Parliamentary Secretary to the Secretary of State for External Affairs):

In reply to the first part of the question may I say I should like to have that stand until the return of the Secretary of State for External Affairs. With regard to the second part of the question, our information is that the United Nations general assembly will be reconvened on March 7 and I would think it very likely that the question of the Congo would be discussed at that time.

Topic:   CONSIDERATION AT SPECIAL OR GENERAL
Subtopic:   ASSEMBLY MEETING

BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE

EXTERNAL AFFAIRS

On the orders of the day:

CCF

Harold Edward Winch

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. Harold E. Winch (Vancouver Easl):

Mr. Speaker, I should like to direct a question to the Acting Prime Minister. In view of the answer just given me by the parliamentary secretary to the minister of external affairs, and in view of the information that there is no knowledge about any special session of the general assembly of the United Nations but that he expects the assembly will reconvene on March 7, is any consideration being given by the government to the holding of one or two days' discussion in this house on foreign affairs prior to the reconvening of the fifteenth general assembly on March 7?

Topic:   BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE
Subtopic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS
Sub-subtopic:   REQUEST FOR EARLY DEBATE

Donald Methuen Fleming (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Hon. Donald M. Fleming (Acting Prime Minister):

Mr. Speaker, there was not very much encouragement given to such proceeding as a result of the government's attempt to accommodate the similar request made in this house a couple of months ago. However, if there is a request, apart from the debate that will no doubt take place on the reference of the department's estimates to the standing committee on external affairs, that can be taken into consideration and the leader of the house can take note of the request.

Topic:   BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE
Subtopic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS
Sub-subtopic:   REQUEST FOR EARLY DEBATE
CCF

Harold Edward Winch

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. Winch:

I am sorry; may I ask the Acting Prime Minister whether I understand from the reply he gave me that the government will give consideration to the house discussing international affairs prior to the March 7 reconvening of the United Nations if the official opposition will play ball and allow it?

Topic:   BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE
Subtopic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS
Sub-subtopic:   REQUEST FOR EARLY DEBATE

Donald Methuen Fleming (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Mr. Fleming (Eglinton):

Mr. Speaker, in my answer I drew attention to what happened on the last occasion that such a request was made-

Topic:   BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE